Jane Eyre / The Kite Runner vs Wuthering Heights Watch

georgiarozse
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
For my A2 coursework I have to compare the poetry of John Keats with Wuthering Heights and EITHER Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte or The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
Ideally I want to have chosen my partner text today so I can start reading it as I have just finished reading Wuthering Heights, but which of these would you recommend? (I'm swaying towards The Kite Runner as it is from a different period and genre).
Thanks
liviward36
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I wont lie, I never actually finished Wuthering Heights (worst English student ever) but I had to do both Keats and Kite Runner for AS this year and would 100% recommended you compare them to Kite Runner. Unlike some books from the cannon, I think Kite Runner is interesting to both analyse AND read (don't know about you, but I always feel they're one or the other?) Keats and Hosseini both use a lot of symbolism so this can be really good/easy place to start. I also think their use of time is really interesting to compare too.
I also get your point about using Kite Runner because of the different time period and it can be quite interesting to look at the way the authors use the language to convey themes idea ect. and you could look at changes of style as well?
I will say Kite Runner is fairly long but you wont want to stop reading once you get into it because its just that good. Can't remember how long Jane Eyre is off the top of my head but I do remember it took longer (might have been cause I was a fair bit younger tho?)
The Empire Odyssey
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I never could finish Wuthering Heights or Kite Runner hated them both. However, I'd simply go for The Kite Runner because it's different period. But it's the same genre as WH and JE as it's prose so not too sure what you meant by saying it's different.
Zerforax
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Kite Runner is a brilliant book to read (dunno about studying).
Akamega
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Kite Runner is a wonderful book to pick up and really lose yourself in, and that's probably why you should not choose it. It's difficult to critique and analyse a piece of literature if you enjoy it so much so that you read it for escapism/pleasure as you would with other fiction you read in your spare time. It would be wise, I think, to compare Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. Apart from the fact that the authors are sisters, their style of writing very much fits into the Romanticism movement and as well as that the themes of, women in society, feminism/patriachy and education are featured in both. I've not studied them or read either - though I know a bit about both since I did literature and a couple of my friends did their coursework on the books - but it definitely seems like the better choice, unless you want to highlight contrast more than similarity between the three.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (136)
51.91%
No (126)
48.09%

Watched Threads