pivotpivotpivot
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I just finished my AS level and I got B (in Bio), C (in Chem),C (in Maths), C (in Textiles), I really want to do Medicine but clearly I didn't do well enough. I am getting my Maths and Textiles remarked as I am 2 UMS off a B in Maths and 4UMS off a B in Textiles. I hope to be predicted AAB as I will be dropping Textiles next year.

I am planning to take the UKCAT test in October but first I am contemplating whether to apply for Medicine this year. I want to either apply for Medicine this year or apply for a different course this year such as, Biology or Pharmacy and then apply for Medicine next year. I don't think I will get any offers this year if I apply for Medicine as I will be predicted AAB (A in Bio, A in Maths and B in Chem) and the entry requirements are AAA. Where as, if I apply for Pharmacy this year (just an example) and I work hard and get 3A's next year I can apply for Medicine next year and take a gap year after year 13, or if I dont get 3A's then I will have to go into Uni doing Pharmacy. I don't mind either way but I am having trouble finding another course to apply for this year as all I can think of doing is Medicine and nothing else intrigues me as much.

I really need help deciding and I would love to receive your opinion and any advice that you have. This is probably very confusing and if you have any questions please ask. Also I do not want to apply for Biomedical Science, that is something I want to try and avoid doing.

Thank you very much
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by pivotpivotpivot)
I just finished my AS level and I got B (in Bio), C (in Chem),C (in Maths), C (in Textiles), I really want to do Medicine but clearly I didn't do well enough. I am getting my Maths and Textiles remarked as I am 2 UMS off a B in Maths and 4UMS off a B in Textiles. I hope to be predicted AAB as I will be dropping Textiles next year.

I am planning to take the UKCAT test in October but first I am contemplating whether to apply for Medicine this year. I want to either apply for Medicine this year or apply for a different course this year such as, Biology or Pharmacy and then apply for Medicine next year. I don't think I will get any offers this year if I apply for Medicine as I will be predicted AAB (A in Bio, A in Maths and B in Chem) and the entry requirements are AAA. Where as, if I apply for Pharmacy this year (just an example) and I work hard and get 3A's next year I can apply for Medicine next year and take a gap year after year 13, or if I dont get 3A's then I will have to go into Uni doing Pharmacy. I don't mind either way but I am having trouble finding another course to apply for this year as all I can think of doing is Medicine and nothing else intrigues me as much.

I really need help deciding and I would love to receive your opinion and any advice that you have. This is probably very confusing and if you have any questions please ask. Also I do not want to apply for Biomedical Science, that is something I want to try and avoid doing.

Thank you very much
Grades aren't high enough for medicine, consider retaking and applying with your A2s?

Also, you need LOTS of work experience
pivotpivotpivot
Rep:
?
(Original post by Big Blue Machine)
Grades aren't high enough for medicine, consider retaking and applying with your A2s?

I'm going to be retaking some AS modules and doing them with my A2's, Uni's will definitely not accept me for Medicine if I retake the whole of AS. and yes I'm trying to get a lot of work experience as I can.
Sesshomaru24U
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

How much do you believe constitutes 'LOTS'. I plan on applying in about 3 years. I'm going to start looking for work experience now, but how much should I have?
Big Blue Machine
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sesshomaru24U)
How much do you believe constitutes 'LOTS'. I plan on applying in about 3 years. I'm going to start looking for work experience now, but how much should I have?
It's good to show commitment, any where you can work once a week/ twice a week for a year. Near where I live is a place called "Disability Challengers' where you work and are payed to play and take care of disabled children. Also see if you can shadow various health departments, neurology, opthamology, etc. Also work in a General practice. Some hospitals office volunteer schemes, like a feeding scheme where you hand out dinner trays and help feed the patients. This gives you 2 key thing s: Patient contact and experience on the ward environment. Try reading around the subject too, subscribe to any medical magazines, look at medical ethics.

If you show commitment 3 years prior your applications by writing the date in your personal statement, it will look good.
Sesshomaru24U
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's good to show commitment, any where you can work once a week/ twice a week for a year. Near where I live is a place called "Disability Challengers' where you work and are payed to play and take care of disabled children. Also see if you can shadow various health departments, neurology, opthamology, etc. Also work in a General practice. Some hospitals office volunteer schemes, like a feeding scheme where you hand out dinner trays and help feed the patients. This gives you 2 key thing s: Patient contact and experience on the ward environment. Try reading around the subject too, subscribe to any medical magazines, look at medical ethics.

If you show commitment 3 years prior your applications by writing the date in your personal statement, it will look good.
Thank you
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm going to be retaking some AS modules and doing them with my A2's, Uni's will definitely not accept me for Medicine if I retake the whole of AS. and yes I'm trying to get a lot of work experience as I can.
Some med schools will accept A-levels done over 3 years, even without extenuating circumstances (Plymouth, Exeter, maybe a couple of others), although it does restrict your options.

Either way it would be safest to wait, work on getting the grades so you can apply next year with grades in hand.
King of the Ring
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you aren't getting the grades, leave it. You probably would fail the degree anyway, as it is very hard. Also, doctors have to be very intelligent to succeed.
emma_1111
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thank you very much
why do you want to avoid biomed?
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just to mention also, Pharmacy is probably as hard a course as Medicine, and plenty of students on BBB grades have failed the course at good unis like Bath.
pivotpivotpivot
Rep:
?
(Original post by emma_1111)
why do you want to avoid biomed?
Because going through the biomed route is obviously longer and I either want to go straight into medicine as an undergraduate than a graduate as medicine takes up a lot of years or I want to choose another course and go ahead with that. So far I'm planning to apply for pharmacy this year, if I get three A's next year I'm going to take a gap year then apply for medicine and if I don't but get at least ABB I'll be going into pharmacy straight away.
pivotpivotpivot
Rep:
?
(Original post by King of the Ring)
Just to mention also, Pharmacy is probably as hard a course as Medicine, and plenty of students on BBB grades have failed the course at good unis like Bath.
I'm hoping to aim for AAB as they will be my predicted grades and therefore, should be capable of doing pharmacy
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm hoping to aim for AAB as they will be my predicted grades and therefore, should be capable of doing pharmacy
A2 is much harder than AS level, plus next year will be the last year that this A level structure will be used.
King of the Ring
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You do realise that people who apply for Medicine will be predicted AAA/A*A*A*?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (403)
56.36%
I don't have everything I need (312)
43.64%

Watched Threads