Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Help! Maths paper tomorrow and saw this somewhere on a non-calc paper. I know its probably easy, but i'm sure i'm doing something wrong (keep messing up)

1/x-2 + 2/x+4 = 1/3

Solve it someone and show me how to do this in the quickest way!! (before i go mad :eek: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shrewd_kitten)
    Help! Maths paper tomorrow and saw this somewhere on a non-calc paper. I know its probably easy, but i'm sure i'm doing something wrong (keep messing up)

1/x-2 + 2/x+4 = 1/3

Solve it someone and show me how to do this in the quickest way!! (before i go mad :eek: )
    multiply everything by 3(x-2)(x+4)

ReputationRep:

1/x-2 + 2/x+4 = 1/3

[x+4 + 2(x-2)] / (x-2)(x+4) = 1/3

3x / (x-2)(x+4) = 1/3

9x = (x-2)(x+4)

9x = x^2 + 2x -8

x^2 - 7x - 8 = 0

(x-8)(x+1) = 0

Therefore x=8, or x=-1

ReputationRep:

1/x-2 + 2/x+4 = 1/3

multiply the left fraction by x+4/x+4 and the right by x-2/x-2 so both denominators are the same then add them together and cross multiply then re-arrange and solve.

ReputationRep:
    take all the numbers to one side and keep all the x's on the other side.
    so you get 1/x + 2/x = 7/3
    then you just do the sum.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone! my crisis has passed. turns out i was doing it correctly but am just not v. good at factorising (lol..figures..thats prob the easiest bit of the question). I got to the x^2-7x-8 bit and stopped and didn't see how to factorise it (i'm just not a good 'factorisor') anyway, thank you!

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.