The Student Room Group

Sheffield, Exeter or York for Politics?

I will be applying for an UG politics degree and I can't decide which university I should have as my first choice. Exeter is highest ranked overall but Sheffield has the best REF score and York seems very solid all round. Any tips from experience of the departments or just your own research would be very helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Rhis Aces
I will be applying for an UG politics degree and I can't decide which university I should have as my first choice. Exeter is highest ranked overall but Sheffield has the best REF score and York seems very solid all round. Any tips from experience of the departments or just your own research would be very helpful.

I'll be doing a combined Politics degree (joint with Economics) at Exeter from next month.

To start off with, 'first choice' means nothing right now. Only after you've received your offers do you need to worry about first and second choices ("firm" and "insurance"). For now, all 5 institutions you send an application to will be seen as equal, assuming you apply to 5.

The REF refers to research prowess, and usually means little to undergraduates. Sheffield can be the best at research in the UK and have a course that doesn't appeal to you at all. York could be the worst at research and yet have an interesting course which they update every year with student feedback and lets you tailor the course to suit your interest - which of Sheffield and York would you rather study in that situation?

Employability wise all 3 are superb. Reading through everything there is about the politics programmes on each of the universities' websites, in particular about modules offered, should go a long way to help you make your decision.

And then other things like the type of city you want to go to, living costs, etc. should be factored in.

Use websites like unistats.com to compare specific courses. Check out what "extras" are available, like foreign language learning, study abroad partner institutions, year in industry, etc.

Good luck.
Original post by Rhis Aces

There is very little overall difference between any of those unis, certainly not enough to make the difference between getting a job or not getting one and reputation/ranking/REF scores won't make you happy. You need to look at course content, location, facilities, to decide which you prefer
PPE Oxford, m8. Don't bother at all otherwise.
Original post by arnoob

I second this! Politics, at best, is a flimsy degree, at least have the backing of a superior establishment behind it.

If I was intellectually inferior and lazy, sure I would get a politics degree for York
Original post by HollyB_C
I second this! Politics, at best, is a flimsy degree, at least have the backing of a superior establishment behind it.

If I was intellectually inferior and lazy, sure I would get a politics degree for York

Why do people like you exist?
Original post by Exceptional

What's wrong with her comment, she's not in the wrong.

You need people upstairs whilst people like yourself and OP mind the shop floor 😊

I would get a politics degree for York. For York. Is that your equivalent of "For Sparta!"?

With that grammar, if you're intellectually superior to politics students, then politics students are truly damned.
You need people upstairs whilst people like yourself and OP mind the shop floor 😊

Exactly, that's how society functions :congrats:
Original post by callum_law
I would get a politics degree for York. For York. Is that your equivalent of "For Sparta!"?

With that grammar, if you're intellectually superior to politics students, then politics students are truly damned.

It was clearly a typo, grammar does not play a part in this :yawn: haven't you got some books to be colouring?

What do you want to be when you grow up?
It was clearly a typo, grammar does not play a part in this :yawn: haven't you got some books to be colouring?

I'd regard a typo as one's finger slipping as one is typing or keystrokes occurring out of order, such as I wrnt to the shpo last night. You're using some funky keyboard if your fingers slipped to turn from to for. We shouldn't laugh at you, though. You might have some serious Michael J Fox-tier tremors, my friend, or maybe you live in earthquake-ridden Taipei?

Whether the flagrant error occurred through ignorance or because you have a keyboard with several keys missing, just be patient with us and we shall get you the help you so desperately need. Hold on to hope.
What do you want to be when you grow up?

Stay fly

I'd regard a typo as one's finger slipping as one is typing or keystrokes occurring out of order, such as I wrnt to the shpo last night. You're using some funky keyboard if your fingers slipped to turn from to for. We shouldn't laugh at you, though. You might have some serious Michael J Fox-tier tremors, my friend, or maybe you live in earthquake-ridden Taipei?

Whether the flagrant error occurred through ignorance or because you have a keyboard with several keys missing, just be patient with us and we shall get you the help you so desperately need. Hold on to hope.

Thank you for defining the hitherto undefinable :smile: I think it's incredibly insensitive of you as I suffer from Parkinson's
Thank you for defining the hitherto undefinable :smile: I think it's incredibly insensitive of you as I suffer from Parkinson's

Hold the presses ... you know what the word hitherto means! It could not have been down to ignorance at all!

Here, kid, that might impress your GCSE English teacher but you're gonna need to work harder to earn my respect.

Cry God for Harry, England and for York!
Hold the presses ... you know what the word hitherto means! It could not have been down to ignorance at all!

Here, kid, that might impress your GCSE English teacher but you're gonna need to work harder to earn my respect.

[video="youtube;o_5uVdy5YmA"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_5uVdy5YmA[/video]

Thanks, m'lady. I shall now dedicate my life to earning the respect I so desperately crave, the respect my parents could not give me.

I don't want to cause you any embarrassment, but you have made a blunder too behemothic to cast aside. I believe it goes as follows:

Cry God for Harry, England and . . . from York
Original post by arnoob

No one was talking to you, I don't think? Stop trying to get in the middle of other people's conversations please. Thanks.
No one was talking to you, I don't think? Stop trying to get in the middle of other people's conversations please. Thanks.

You don't get to choose.
Original post by arnoob

I've seen graduates from York and Greenwich get jobs with MPs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending