Billie JD Porter?

Watch
noobynoo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What do you think of her? She does BBC3 documentaries. She seem a bit of a nice-but-dim posh girl. But on the other hand I think she's kinda foxy:

She does kind of look and talk like she's permanently stoned though.
dinesh2001
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
she sounds like she has a permanent cold and bunged up nose. get a handkerchief and clear your nose...
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Never seen her before.
dinesh2001
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
lucky you, my cat can present this programme better.
alex0110
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
10/10, would bang
Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hmm, I feel like the OP is leading us to discuss her aesthetics, which I always resent doing with celebrities.

But I have been interested in this girl's work for a while now. She did the Prostitution What's the Harm documentary for the BBC as well. I can't remember if she's done anything else on TV.

But currently she's on this documentary about China, 'Secrets of China' I think. The first episode was about young people and the pressures they are put under. To me, it came across slightly biased (although she has said that she tries to avoid telling viewers what to think). I think at the heart of that episode, was an inability to recognise the influence her own society has had on her views. Despite there being clear unethical things about the Chinese system, including propaganda and anti-protest cover ups, she didn't compare our own government's aims and values to the Chinese (she would see similarities, like economic growth, materialistic things). It wasn't all bad, a lot of thought went into it actually, just being very critical.

I found the second episode most interesting, and this is the real reason why I'm discussing it here. It was about the craze of marriage, weddings and romance in China. I guess I enjoyed it the most because of the way Billie joined in with the culture, and expressed her own insecurities to the Chinese people she met, and to the viewers (about the fact that she was pursuing someone, but she feared she was getting rejected). It stopped being this kind of 'David Attenborough goes to the Sahara somewhere, and commentates on the wild animals', and instead became a western girl trying to integrate in some way and give a more honest and insightful look on China and the UK (with regard to relationships and marriage).
alex0110
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pride)
Hmm, I feel like the OP is leading us to discuss her aesthetics, which I always resent doing with celebrities.

But I have been interested in this girl's work for a while now. She did the Prostitution What's the Harm documentary for the BBC as well. I can't remember if she's done anything else on TV.

But currently she's on this documentary about China, 'Secrets of China' I think. The first episode was about young people and the pressures they are put under. To me, it came across slightly biased (although she has said that she tries to avoid telling viewers what to think). I think at the heart of that episode, was an inability to recognise the influence her own society has had on her views. Despite there being clear unethical things about the Chinese system, including propaganda and anti-protest cover ups, she didn't compare our own government's aims and values to the Chinese (she would see similarities, like economic growth, materialistic things). It wasn't all bad, a lot of thought went into it actually, just being very critical.

I found the second episode most interesting, and this is the real reason why I'm discussing it here. It was about the craze of marriage, weddings and romance in China. I guess I enjoyed it the most because of the way Billie joined in with the culture, and expressed her own insecurities to the Chinese people she met, and to the viewers (about the fact that she was pursuing someone, but she feared she was getting rejected). It stopped being this kind of 'David Attenborough goes to the Sahara somewhere, and commentates on the wild animals', and instead became a western girl trying to integrate in some way and give a more honest and insightful look on China and the UK (with regard to relationships and marriage).
Cant decide if i prefer her, stacy dooley or Reggie Yates
Have to say, don't know if you caught Reggie Yates on Russia but I found that v good
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by alex0110)
Cant decide if i prefer her, stacy dooley or Reggie Yates
Have to say, don't know if you caught Reggie Yates on Russia but I found that v good
yes, I did. I did find it very interesting.

But you see I found Reggie slightly worse. To me it's about insight. Not just looking through your own eyes at people as though they are zoo animals, just because the culture is completely foreign to you. It's about gaining insight into their culture in a more objective way (again, just an opinion, perhaps we could never truly be objective), trying to understand why cultures are, and trying to understand why we (westerners) perceive their culture the way we do.
alex0110
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pride)
yes, I did. I did find it very interesting.

But you see I found Reggie slightly worse. To me it's about insight. Not just looking through your own eyes at people as though they are zoo animals, just because the culture is completely foreign to you. It's about gaining insight into their culture in a more objective way (again, just an opinion, perhaps we could never truly be objective), trying to understand why cultures are, and trying to understand why we (westerners) perceive their culture the way we do.
It was very clear that that the BBC's agenda was to gain viewers on the first, race based episode without providing an understanding to viewers of the development and relation within their culture, totally agree
Although I would argue the 2nd and 3rd episodes tried to do that if only to revert back to "Russia is crazy as ****, be glad you live in England"

While Billie may have achieved this perceive insight, I felt their was an aloofness (speaking only of the 1st episode) that I felt uncomfortable with such as her relationship with the Chinese girl at the army camp, that might just be me. I also got the impression that despite professing and understanding of the Chinese method of discipline in the end, that this would inevitably dissipate once she left
dinesh2001
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Billie JD Porter, stacy dooley or Reggie Yates........ dont like any other these styles, too casual and their views don't seem to be based on facts or any research of their own.
DoNotResuscitate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I like her; think she is funny and attractive but unfortunately I feel her programs lack real substance. She investigates some interesting topics but I feel that they do not come to a satisfactory conclusion or really delve into the issues shown. It's all surface level in my opinion and I think Billie lacks the intelligence and genuine interest that people like Stacey Dooley seem to have. I enjoy watching her programs for entertainment but she is no investigative journalist and I think that she is the wrong person to be presenting documentary type programs or ones posing to be that kinda thing.
DoNotResuscitate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by dinesh2001)
Billie JD Porter, stacy dooley or Reggie Yates........ dont like any other these styles, too casual and their views don't seem to be based on facts or any research of their own.
I agree with you but I think that Stacey and Reggie seem slightly more together and interested than Billie does.
dinesh2001
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
totally agree to that as well. they need to get Billie off the telly. Presenters like louis theroux can pull off a casual style, he comes across as genuinely interested. These 3 just need to find another job or the bbc need to find another screening process for selecting their young presenters.. hip and cool just doesn't wash with documentaries.
alex0110
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
totally agree to that as well. they need to get Billie off the telly. Presenters like louis theroux can pull off a casual style, he comes across as genuinely interested. These 3 just need to find another job or the bbc need to find another screening process for selecting their young presenters.. hip and cool just doesn't wash with documentaries.
Louis Theroux documentaries on prison/ mental asylum/ death row are king
DoNotResuscitate
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Louis Theroux is definitely a better presenter but for some reason he really irritates me.
Tarte Tatin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I watched that programme she did about dating/marriage in China, which was really interesting, but she can be a little irritating. As she's being compared to Stacey Dooley and Reggie Yates, I'd say I prefer those two presenters.
Mackay
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stacey Dooley is the pits, guys
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's funny, I think Stacey Dooley is the worst of the 3. I wasn't even going to comment on her work. It's interesting how perceptions of the same programmes can evoke completely different opinions.
dinesh2001
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I wonder how much the bbc are paying them each for doing these programmes, i bet it's about 20k per episode.... only a guess, they should have got a different media graduate presenting each one and t a cheaper price ........at least it would be a better quality show!
bones-mccoy
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She just reminds me of Wetherspoons
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (8)
14.04%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (13)
22.81%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (4)
7.02%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (8)
14.04%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (4)
7.02%
I think it's an unfair expectation (18)
31.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (2)
3.51%

Watched Threads