Half marathon and hiking training

Watch
amelimoo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm doing a half-marathon in March and the 3 peaks challenge in June and just want to know the best way to train for them, given I'm in reasonably good shape but don't do regular running

Posted from TSR Mobile
ch0c0h01ic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by amelimoo)
I'm doing a half-marathon in March and the 3 peaks challenge in June and just want to know the best way to train for them, given I'm in reasonably good shape but don't do regular running
Between now and March I personally would focus on run training, then more focused hiking training in the 2-3 months in the buildup to your 3 peaks challenge.

If you have done little or no running you will probably need to start with something like the Couch to 5K routine (free online) and then a beginner half marathon plan after that. The book Run Less, Run Faster is great and will set you back abut £5-10 on Amazon (or just borrow it from your library for free).

As far as the 3 Peaks goes it isn't that difficult, the main issue is the amount of ascent and descent (around 3,000m of each) that puts a lot of pressure on the joints of your lower body. If you haven't done any preparation you will really hurt.

If you're looking for a pre-made plan I would recommend Strong Swift Durable's (formerly Mountain Athlete) 'Bodyweight Routine' closely followed by their 'Peak Bagger' routine. If you're already very experienced this article gives you a rough overview of the key principles, exercises and programming they use which you can then extrapolate your own routine from. The main aim is to maintain the endurance you've developed for the half marathon by doing one long run a week while developing the necessary sport specific endurance with the weighted stepups, leg blaster complexes, etc.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think if you're pretty fit you should be able to manage the walking anyway so focus on running, maybe look at a plan online and then you can see when you should be at what point, after your half marathon you can do some walking training if you want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.62%
Less motivated (90)
74.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise