This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
You know, this summer I've been so bored, that I've even resorted to watching golf on tv!! and it occurred to me, why are all the golfers blokes? does anyone know if there is a separate female's championship?

ps golf is not as boring as i thought it would be. wow i cant believe i just said that.
Expression
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Yep, if you all look on the Weetabix packets at the moment, they've been giving away tickets for the Women's Championship at Royal Lytham St Annes.

Incidentally, that is the next golfing event to the shown on the BBC.

I'll only watch golf; on the final day of play, when the excitement can start.

I'm just waiting for the first edition of Football Focus, these pre season friendlies have got me back in the mood - especially now that Mansfield beat Manchester City 2-1
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
oo knowledgable! thanks for the info! i'm the same way with all sports, i only watch the final day/ the final matches, whether its snooker, golf, football (in which case i only watch the world cup / euro cup) tennis ..
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
This year's snooker at the crcuible was pretty damn good.
Though I watch many sports, golf and curling are the only sports which I refuse to watch.

Phil
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
lol phil. as they say in the dr pepper ad, u gotta try it 2 luv it. it helps if u have someone next 2 u who can explain what's going on, otherwise its like watching paint dry!!
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I suppose, but cause I don't play, and no1 ever explained the game to me, I don't see the point/understand it fully, so find it hard to enjoy

Phil
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I prefer to watch Matchplay Golf, ie Ryder Cup, Walker Cup.

World Championship Darts at Lakeside, Frimley Green is always an event I enjoy watching.

I confess to watching the Curling final at whatever time it was (midnight?) when the last Winter Olympics were on at SLC 2002.

I enjoy the multi sports events such as the Olympics (Winter/Summer), and Commonwealths, as it gives an insight in to some of the sports I haven't yet seen, or understand at least the basic aims / rules of.

This is one thing I am looking forward to at University, where I hope to get on the union sports press team, having a chance to look at many different sports that I haven't seen anything of.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I must admit to staying up till past 2am to watch Ice Hockey in the olympics, even though I'd never really watched it before, and didn't have a clue about the rules.

Phil
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Is anyone as surprised as I am that Ben Curtis won?

Yeah, the snooker at the crcuible was good. Mark Williams is my favourite player for three reasons he's welsh (like me), he's left handed (like me) and he is a great player (like me - well I can beat most of my mates and my dad!).
Egan1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hmmm...that has got me thinking- are there any sports where genders mix? I can't think of any currently but someone will prob find out some obvious example...maybe?
Expression
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I learned about Ice Hockey watching the Stanley Cup series - mainly as I pulled an all nighter doing my M2 coursework, and the only thing keeping me awake was the Stanley Cup Finals on Channel 5.

Fast paced sport, shame the Brits aren't that good at it.

Sheffield Steelers (Playing at the Hallamfm Arena) are the best club in Britain at the moment, and have a fierce rivalry with the Nottingham Panthers (playing at the National Ice Centre). I went to the Superleague finals at Nottingham, and learned as I went along !

The fans are pretty passionate about it.
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
You gotta love the way the players show how much they care, thogh this often ends in violene, which is kinda part of the show.
I gotta agree that Williams is on of my favourite snooker players, along with Ronnie, Doherty, Davis (fan of his from They think it;s all over) etc.

PHIL
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think my last post must ahve done something which has never been done befroe, mention the calm, and respectable game of snooker, and the aggessive sport of icehockey at the same time. can you imagine if you swithced the fans over.

PHIL
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Egan1
hmmm...that has got me thinking- are there any sports where genders mix? I can't think of any currently but someone will prob find out some obvious example...maybe?
1. Tennis Mixed Doubles

2. Figure Skating (Torvil and Dean)

3. My school's netball team (boys are actually allowed to play as there are no offical rules againist it)
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Do many boys actually play though?

Phil
AllergicToFairydust
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
No, we have 2 boys and 40 girls (6 teams - 1 per year except sixth form which has only one team)
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Egan1
horse-riding, both eventing and racing has a mix of female/male competitors, but that's pretty much the only one i can think of.

in marathons they run at the same time, but not against each other.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (295)
34.26%
No (566)
65.74%

Watched Threads