Walex12108
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I've applied for private accommodation and have planned to move in on the 7th but to do so I need a Gaurantor by Monday. I have tried using my dad but he hasn't got a good enough credit score. Plus they charged me £100 just for checking!!!
Now I told them I'd use my auntie but I don't want to put her in that situation, they are asking for a rediculous amount of information of her; payslips, id's, proof of address, and they want to contact her employers. And this all needs to be done by Monday.
I really don't want to go through all that hassle with her and its to intruding for me to ask her for all of that personal information.
Is there anything I can do. I mean my student finance covers the yearly rent, I've had a job for the past 5 years so can easily get another (part time) when I'm there, I don't see the problem.
Is there anything I can do??
I've already paid just under £1200 for a deposit so can't back out now.
This is making me super stressed and upset
Thanks.
Hayley Williams
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Walex12108)
Hi I've applied for private accommodation and have planned to move in on the 7th but to do so I need a Gaurantor by Monday. I have tried using my dad but he hasn't got a good enough credit score. Plus they charged me £100 just for checking!!!
Now I told them I'd use my auntie but I don't want to put her in that situation, they are asking for a rediculous amount of information of her; payslips, id's, proof of address, and they want to contact her employers. And this all needs to be done by Monday.
I really don't want to go through all that hassle with her and its to intruding for me to ask her for all of that personal information.
Is there anything I can do. I mean my student finance covers the yearly rent, I've had a job for the past 5 years so can easily get another (part time) when I'm there, I don't see the problem.
Is there anything I can do??
I've already paid just under £1200 for a deposit so can't back out now.
This is making me super stressed and upset
Thanks.
I feel for you but as with most rented accommodation you need a guarantor and you should have been aware of this They shouldn't need all that from your aunt for her to be a gaurantor, They literally only need to see her credit. My mum just did this for my sister for her uni house and that's all they needed. Give them a ring and ask why they need all this info for your aunt but not for your dad.
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You can easily find student accomodation where you dont need a guarantor... EU students dont have guarantors and we dont pay upfront either. The very firrt landlord I contacted didnt ask for a guarantor so i took the room. All of the other EU students I knew found a place easily as well. However you need to check with the landlords, if you need a guarantor, definitely do not use agencies as they always ask for a guarantor. Find a few private landlords u will find one that doesnt ask for a guarantor.
username1494226
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by driftawaay)
You can easily find student accomodation where you dont need a guarantor... EU students dont have guarantors and we dont pay upfront either. The very firrt landlord I contacted didnt ask for a guarantor so i took the room. All of the other EU students I knew found a place easily as well. However you need to check with the landlords, if you need a guarantor, definitely do not use agencies as they always ask for a guarantor. Find a few private landlords u will find one that doesnt ask for a guarantor.
Did you not read? He's already handed over £1200 like a buffoon. He can't just walk away now
driftawaay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by marco14196)
Did you not read? He's already handed over £1200 like a buffoon. He can't just walk away now
Well he will be forced to walk away if he can't get a guarantor...
DarkSenrine
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What about offering to pay two months in advance? Often that's a sufficient replacement to a guarantor.

And you lose the deposit it you break the contract. Presumably you need to have a guarantor before the contract is valid so you are legally allowed to have it back if they turf you out and break their part of the deal.

Also, £1200 is ridiculous for a deposit. I rent a flat in Surrey and even mine's not that much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (325)
55.75%
I don't have everything I need (258)
44.25%

Watched Threads