The Student Room Group

Do you need national insurance number to do an apprenticeship? pls help :)

I've just finished my AS and i'm gonna do an apprenticeship with an IT company in mid october, but I don't have an National Insurance Number (yet)! I did not receive my NI number when i turned to 16, and i'm 17 now, i've applied for one and still waiting waiting for it to be processed, apparently it's going to take as long as seven weeks to be done. (i know i will need it when i have job but..) I'm just wondering do you need you national insurance number to do an apprenticeship? And how do you get paid in apprenticeships? Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Hello! I've moved this to the apprenticeships forum now- you should get a better response here
Reply 3
I've been asked to provide my NI by my apprenticeship company, so I suppose it is commonplace for employers to ask for it. Pay would most likely be paid directly into your bank account.
they ( I believe) can't employ anybody without an NI number.
maybe a copy of the letter/email from NI explaining the delay will do?

They have to legally ensure that you have a right to be employed in this country , plus tax/NI has to be registered to your account.
It also shows your age. Think of it as a work permit/licence to work

I would have thought that so long as it is in the pipeline, you'd be ok but the HR dept should be able to tell you.
Reply 5
Do you need national insurance number to enroll in college please
Original post by Mishypee

Not to my knowledge, I didn't

Posted from TSR Mobile

No not to enrol in college. I wasn't asked for my NI number when I enrolled to sixth form college

For my College, I WAS asked for my NI number, it varies from College to College I think. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending