Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is Bath well known worldwide? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It seems to me Bath is not recognized from links that i have seen, it this true?

ReputationRep:
    Yup, it's wholly anonymous in international terms.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it's known for its Roman baths...the university is generally only well-known inside the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that Bath is recognised internationally (especially for engineering). We have a high number of Oriental students studying here, as well as many from Europe.

I must say I've found this term "internationally recognised" rather strange. Have you asked every foreign person you've met if they've heard of University X?

Pretty sure anyone interested in maths or physical engineering subjects has heard of Bath. It may not pour stupid amounts of money into shameless global promotion but it is extremely good in certain areas and I think this is fairly well known outside the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think its even particularly well-known within the UK, but those that are aware of its existence will most likely know that its emerged as a good university in recent times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by equili3rium)
    It seems to me Bath is not recognized from links that i have seen, it this true?
    Academically Bath is one of the top unis in the UK...
    However its reputation doesn't reflect its real quality...and reputation wise i would say it is still behind places like Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham.

ReputationRep:
    Although Bath is quite a small uni in comparison to Nott, Warwick, Bristol and etc... the good quality of its graduates is recognized by most employers. Generally, employers thinks the smaller size of the uni allows better teachin quality and students there are more disciplined. The university is also more prestigious in their view, this also has association with the high-class reputation of the town. Maybe the uni is not well-known in general people's view since its very specialized but it is definitely well-known to professionals and employers. My grandpa is a professor who graduated from Harvard and MIT...he believes Bath is a very gd uni and its graduates are of very high quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Academically Bath is one of the top unis in the UK...
    However its reputation doesn't reflect its real quality...and reputation wise i would say it is still behind places like Warwick, Bristol and Nottingham.
    Why Nottingham? Because it is popular?

ReputationRep:
    Yep. The rest of the world prefers a shower.

I've got Bath as my insurance choice by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bigcnee)
    Why Nottingham? Because it is popular?
    Lol at the person who tried to give me negative rep for this.

yep, outside the uk i would say it definatley isnt well known. For all those people who think it is....lol, stop kidding yourself, most of our british unis apart from the obvious few are hardly known outside our lands.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.