The Student Room Group

Ask a M&A intern anything

few hours to spare before duty calls. for prospective summer interns, if there's anything specific you want to know about an internship in M&A or people's experience, ask here.

i'm sure others who've interned/worked can give a good perspective aswell.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gr8wizard10
few hours to spare before duty calls. for prospective summer interns, if there's anything specific you want to know about an internship in M&A or people's experience, ask here.

i'm sure others who've interned/worked can give a good perspective aswell.

Hi,

Is there a lot of travelling in a typical week (e.g. to clients offices?)In addition, how quantitative is your work? Is it mostlyworking on pitch books etc or do you spend a good amount of time doingmodelling?Thanks for your time
Original post by Whispering Way
Hi,

Is there a lot of travelling in a typical week (e.g. to clients offices?)In addition, how quantitative is your work? Is it mostlyworking on pitch books etc or do you spend a good amount of time doingmodelling?Thanks for your time

as an analyst/intern, no. most of the time spent in the office doing the ground work.

multiplication/division is as complex as it gets. I did run a regression once but that was done via excel and required very little thought.

my team do very little pitching, mostly the sector teams cover that, although we are involved and have done some work surrounding pitch books.

yes, coming up with justified assumptions in models, and i've created a few models from scratch (for learning purposes), although there are prebuilt models in which we just adapt to fit the profile we need.
Would you say your role is more or less technical than a coverage role?

Posted from TSR Mobile
How many hours do you tend to work as an intern?
Original post by Oschene23
Would you say your role is more or less technical than a coverage role?

more, we're mainly execution. depends on what you mean by technical

Original post by AenigmaFx
How many hours do you tend to work as an intern?

on average around 16, 9-1 on a typical day, sometimes leave around 12 and others can be as harsh as 3. it all depends on workload, and efficiency.

on average around 16, 9-1 on a typical day, sometimes leave around 12 and others can be as harsh as 3. it all depends on workload, and efficiency.

I mean modeling wise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oschene23
I mean modeling wise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probs similar, not sure, haven't been on any industry coverage desks long enough
Have you interned for other divisions? If yes, how does M&A compare?

Sorry I don't think I completely got you there, 16 hours in a single day!?
Reply 10
I feel like you work in an American bank. Anyway what uni did you go to and what degree did you do?
Have you use any knowledge you got from our degree while working?

Why do they not just hire more people instead of giving you twice the workload of most other jobs? Is the work of such a nature that it couldn't possibly be shared among more people?
Original post by Potally_Tissed
Why do they not just hire more people instead of giving you twice the workload of most other jobs? Is the work of such a nature that it couldn't possibly be shared among more people?

That's a good question. I suspect more people= lower salary=> less qualified employees. This is especially important for an industry that tries to get the best and relies on prestige. But I'm not the investment banker. Would like to hear OPs answer though.
Original post by Imperion
Have you interned for other divisions? If yes, how does M&A compare?

Yes, in markets. m&a I feel gives you more grounding to what's actually relevant in the business environment, and is overall long-term project based with a hell of alot of due-dilligence where you're making decisions on a lot more information then you would otherwise do in markets.

Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai
Sorry I don't think I completely got you there, 16 hours in a single day!?

Yes, as an analyst that's generally the work hours.

Original post by aeryk
I feel like you work in an American bank. Anyway what uni did you go to and what degree did you do?
Have you use any knowledge you got from our degree while working?

I study Investment & Financial Risk Management at Cass Business School. Yes, as my course is generally quite relevant to finance, I knew quite a few things already. That being said, the practicality of how the bank does things is almost always going to be different from the theoritical grounding you get at university.

Original post by Potally_Tissed

Original post by Blutooth
That's a good question. I suspect more people= lower salary=> less qualified employees. This is especially important for an industry that tries to get the best and relies on prestige. But I'm not the investment banker. Would like to hear OPs answer though.

There's no need for more people, workload is highly volatile, sometimes there's many active deals, whereas othertimes there's little work to go around (and you're staffed on mostly pitching), I think the amount of people in the office atm is definitely enough to cope with the workload. If industry deal activity picks up, I'm sure there would be more hires.

But as above, a key consideration is competence, and just hiring a bunch of kids wouldn't necesserily mean the bank will sustain high quality proudce. An integral part of what you lean in M&A (I feel) is managing time, responsibility and being a lot more efficient than the average person.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, in markets. m&a I feel gives you more grounding to what's actually relevant in the business environment, and is overall long-term project based with a hell of alot of due-dilligence where you're making decisions on a lot more information then you would otherwise do in markets.

Yes, as an analyst that's generally the work hours.

I study Investment & Financial Risk Management at Cass Business School. Yes, as my course is generally quite relevant to finance, I knew quite a few things already. That being said, the practicality of how the bank does things is almost always going to be different from the theoritical grounding you get at university.

There's no need for more people, workload is highly volatile, sometimes there's many active deals, whereas othertimes there's little work to go around (and you're staffed on mostly pitching), I think the amount of people in the office atm is definitely enough to cope with the workload. If industry deal activity picks up, I'm sure there would be more hires.

But as above, a key consideration is competence, and just hiring a bunch of kids wouldn't necesserily mean the bank will sustain high quality proudce. An integral part of what you lean in M&A (I feel) is managing time, responsibility and being a lot more efficient than the average person.

You are aware that a 16 hour day is completely illegal?

[EDIT] Before some barrack room lawyer pipes up; it's illegal in the configuration of 0900-0100, followed by another 0900-0100 the day after as there's no 11 hour rest period in between shifts.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mad Vlad

You sign an opt-out form to relinquish you from the European working time directive when you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not relevant if you want to keep a job in this industry.
Original post by Princepieman
You sign an opt-out form to relinquish you from the European working time directive when you start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This is nothing to do with the EU Working Time Directive. This is UK law. The Working Time Directive waiver releases you from the 48 hour maximum working week. It does not opt you out of the legal requirement under Regulation 10 of the Working Time Regulations for a minimum of 11 hours rest between consecutive shifts.
Not relevant if you want to keep a job in this industry.

Well then frankly, you work in a bull**** industry and I think you'd have to be crazy to put up with that.
Well then frankly, you work in a bull**** industry and I think you'd have to be crazy to put up with that.

That's fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending