a question concerning grades in As subjects ans A-level subjects

Watch
Chaotic_Kal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
on September, i am going to start a course in a-level or AS but before that i have to decide whether i am taking multiple AS or one A-level subject. i heard people saying that A2 in A-level is very difficult so i was thinking about taking two AS subjects( biology and maths) but i heard a fact that the maximum grade you can obtain for one subject is an A. is it possible to achieve an A* by scoring an A in both subjects?
Advertisement
HistoryStudent1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you need to do a little research before you start in september, most people do four AS levels in their first year, then drop one and do 3 A2 levels in their second year. Plus your AS levels don't get put together, so you will get two As rather than one A* (as you can't get A*s at AS level).
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chaotic_Kal)
on September, i am going to start a course in a-level or AS but before that i have to decide whether i am taking multiple AS or one A-level subject. i heard people saying that A2 in A-level is very difficult so i was thinking about taking two AS subjects( biology and maths) but i heard a fact that the maximum grade you can obtain for one subject is an A. is it possible to achieve an A* by scoring an A in both subjects?
This September sees the start of A-level courses examined only at the end of two years (but not for all subjects), rather than the current model of studying for AS units in the lower sixth, examined after the first year, and studying for the A2 units in the upper sixth, examined at the end of the second year.

Biology is one of these moving to the two year course, although there will be a separate one year AS Biology course offered by exam boards. Some schools and colleges have opted to accept students onto the two year course, but to give their students the opportunity to take a stand-alone AS in Biology at the end of the first year. Others will not be offering Biology AS at all; and some will accept applications onto either the stand-alone AS or onto the two year A-level. There will be no A2 (upper sixth form modules) available, other than a resit opportunity for those wanting to retake A2s after their June 15 attempt.

If you are aiming for A* grades, then you need three full A-levels to apply for university - the more competitive university places rarely include an AS grade as part of their conditional offer.

Maths is different. Some schools and colleges have always offered teaching in AS Maths and A2 Maths side by side in the lower sixth, so that it is possible to get an A* in Maths after one year's study. I think that Maths is one of those subjects delaying a move to the two year specification.

The grades for AS continue to be A for 80% UMS, B for 70% UMS etc, and for A2, having first been examined in the AS, A* for 90% UMS (provided the average of the AS plus A2 UMS marks is over 80%), A for 80% etc; however, whilst you receive a certificate for AS grades, the A2 exams form part of your certified grade for the A-level, on the basis of your combined result for the AS and A2.

Under the two year course, say for Biology, if you take both the Biology A-level two year specification in June 2017 and the stand-alone Biology AS in either June 2016 or in June 2017, you will receive two separate certificates - your marks in the two qualifications will not influence each other.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (514)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (633)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.42%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.52%

Watched Threads