Anyone has been to Australia?

Watch
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone has been or worked there before? How is it there? Appreciate any comments
kka25
Rep:
?
Anyone?
kka25
Rep:
?
No one? :eek:
StainesMassif
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its a disgrace that we actually need a visa to live there. As if the Anglo bloodline and our mutual heritage counts for nothing, meanwhile we get Tomasz and that filth in their droves thanks to the ludicrous EU.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by StainesMassif)
Its a disgrace that we actually need a visa to live there. As if the Anglo bloodline and our mutual heritage counts for nothing, meanwhile we get Tomasz and that filth in their droves thanks to the ludicrous EU.
I'd just assume you've been there
kka25
Rep:
?
:lurk:
lucymellor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Melbourne and Sydney are both very nice cities with plenty to do. I've only been on holiday, not working there, so I can't comment on the jobs market. However if you are from the UK I would not recommend working in north Australia, I've visited Cairns in their summer and temperatures are extreme - you can't walk for more than 10 minutes without wanting to die in the hottest part of the day. It was fine for a few days as part of a holiday, and worth going to see the Great Barrier Reef, but in terms of looking to live and work there I would stick to the south.
lizard54142
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
:lurk:
I lived there until I was 14
elohssa_42
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in NZ. But Australia is pretty cool. It has nice city life, but worse nature (crap beaches and lots of spiders etc). The wages are awesome as it protects its skilled workers. Dunno about unskilled workers though, but I think they also get paid well.
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I had a working holiday visa when I was there for 6 months during my gap year. Got a job in an ice cream shop in Sydney for a couple of months before taking the bus down to Melbourne then up to Cairns (stopping off along the way). Loved every minute of it.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by lucymellor)
Melbourne and Sydney are both very nice cities with plenty to do. I've only been on holiday, not working there, so I can't comment on the jobs market. However if you are from the UK I would not recommend working in north Australia, I've visited Cairns in their summer and temperatures are extreme - you can't walk for more than 10 minutes without wanting to die in the hottest part of the day. It was fine for a few days as part of a holiday, and worth going to see the Great Barrier Reef, but in terms of looking to live and work there I would stick to the south.
(Original post by Duncan2012)
I had a working holiday visa when I was there for 6 months during my gap year. Got a job in an ice cream shop in Sydney for a couple of months before taking the bus down to Melbourne then up to Cairns (stopping off along the way). Loved every minute of it.
(Original post by lizard54142)
I lived there until I was 14
Thanks

How are the people there in general? Are the public transports any good?
fishnow2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
U has fly car???

(Original post by StainesMassif)
I was actually shocked when I read that I needed to apply for an e-visa to get in, as if I was applying for an actual visa!

We have the same head of state and the union jack on both our flags! We should be having Schengen freedoms between our countries!
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Anyone has been or worked there before? How is it there? Appreciate any comments
Yes, what do you want to know?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to go, just go. You can get information from Google or Lonely Planet etc.

I don't know why you're worrying about public transport, it's not as if that's going to help you decide whether to go or not.
fishnow2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you want to go, just go. You can get information from Google or Lonely Planet etc.

I don't know why you're worrying about public transport, it's not as if that's going to help you decide whether to go or not.
Depends on where the OP is from. It's actually quite shocking how bad public transport is outside Europe, and if the OP is from London then public transport might be important.
kka25
Rep:
?
(Original post by fishnow2)
Depends on where the OP is from. It's actually quite shocking how bad public transport is outside Europe, and if the OP is from London then public transport might be important.
Exactly.

In some sense I'd prefer if the place has some good public transport or connected ones (so I don't have to invest in a car or something)

(Original post by Reue)
Yes, what do you want to know?
Oh, goodie

Well, how do you find it there? As in the cities and the people? Did you work there before? Was renting affordable?
lizard54142
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Thanks

How are the people there in general? Are the public transports any good?
The people there are generally extremely nice, very laid back and friendly, more so than the British. Public transport is okay, it obviously is rubbish in remote areas, but inner city transport tends to be good.
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fishnow2)
Oh come on, there are plenty of places outside Europe with perfectly fine public transport.

If someone is basing their travel plans to the other side of the world upon whether they can get a late night bus or whatever then I pity them.
fishnow2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh come on, there are plenty of places outside Europe with perfectly fine public transport.

If someone is basing their travel plans to the other side of the world upon whether they can get a late night bus or whatever then I pity them.
It's basically only Europe and East Asia. Pretty much everywhere else is utterly ****e for getting around without cars or taxis.

The UK is one of the few countries on earth where you can live without ever owning a car.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Well, how do you find it there? As in the cities and the people? Did you work there before? Was renting affordable?
The cities were much cleaner and safer than comparable UK ones. The people I found to be very similar to most in the UK; not particularly friendly but not rude either.

I did work there, as both a fruit picker down the East Coast and Telesales in Sydney.

Renting (in Sydney) was very expensive as we lived right in the central city area.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (727)
33.8%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (921)
42.82%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (408)
18.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (95)
4.42%

Watched Threads