Is A-level maths necessary for A-level Chemstry?

Watch
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
For GCSE's I got a grade B in maths (one mark off an A so it is being remarked) so I decided to pick economics instead of maths because I didn't want to pick maths if I knew I may not be good enough to do it.

However, I am now being told that I should do A-level Maths other wise there's no point in me doing Biology and Chemistry.. Is this true? Is it possible to do those A-levels without having to do A-level Maths or should I just do A-level maths anyway?
Gogregg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Of course it's possible to do those without maths A-Level. I'm pretty certain that the maths in those is still quite simple, maybe a bit more complex than the math in GCSE, but not by much. You don't need math A-Level for any of the sciences, and the only course I would suggest taking maths with, is physics, which even then, you could do without A-Level maths, albeit with a bit more of a struggle.

Also, economics is quite maths based, not sure how much maths there is at A-Level though.
white_o
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
That's not true at all, there's minimal maths in A Level bio and the maths in chem is very different from A level maths. I did all 3 and didn't find that maths helped with the other two. Although bio helped with chem and vice versa
Pick the subjects you like and enjoy!
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1295084)
For GCSE's I got a grade B in maths (one mark off an A so it is being remarked) so I decided to pick economics instead of maths because I didn't want to pick maths if I knew I may not be good enough to do it.

However, I am now being told that I should do A-level Maths other wise there's no point in me doing Biology and Chemistry.. Is this true? Is it possible to do those A-levels without having to do A-level Maths or should I just do A-level maths anyway?
The most complicated mathematics you'll have to use in A Level Chemistry is logs at A2, but you'll be taught how to do that and the questions are simple. Apart from that, there's nothing that you wouldn't have covered in GCSE Maths. The difficulty with the calculations questions in A Level Chemistry isn't the difficulty of the mathematics involved (most of it is basically just basic arithmetic and rearranging simple equations) but rather understanding the concepts. A lot of people struggle with the calculations questions in Chemistry, not because they can't rearrange an equation, but because they don't understand what they're doing. But that's a question of Chemistry, not Maths.

The only problem with not taking A Level Mathematics is that it could potentially restrict your university options, depending on what you're intending to do post A Level.
username1333513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
you don't need maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
The Wavefunction
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope, if you can rearrange equations and work out percentages then you're good to go.
KingAuthor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm doing chemistry, biology, psychology and statistics. In maths there are a million different possibilities for each maths question but in the sciences you get equations etc and there can only be a limit on what they can give you.

Sorry if that different make much sense, not feeling myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Laurenafenete
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I think you would need maths more for economics than for either chemistry or biology. Its physics that you would like to have maths and its probably a good idea to take if you are.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
The most complicated mathematics you'll have to use in A Level Chemistry is logs at A2, but you'll be taught how to do that and the questions are simple. Apart from that, there's nothing that you wouldn't have covered in GCSE Maths. The difficulty with the calculations questions in A Level Chemistry isn't the difficulty of the mathematics involved (most of it is basically just basic arithmetic and rearranging simple equations) but rather understanding the concepts. A lot of people struggle with the calculations questions in Chemistry, not because they can't rearrange an equation, but because they don't understand what they're doing. But that's a question of Chemistry, not Maths.

The only problem with not taking A Level Mathematics is that it could potentially restrict your university options, depending on what you're intending to do post A Level.
Thank you for that
And I'm planning on doing either Pharmacy or Pharmacology so I'm not entirely sure if A-level maths is needed for them.
ravichauhan11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It wouldn't help that much as the maths in AS chemistry is very basic

Posted from TSR Mobile
Holmstock
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by 1295084)
Thank you for that
And I'm planning on doing either Pharmacy or Pharmacology so I'm not entirely sure if A-level maths is needed for them.
You will need Maths, just not the entire A-level specification/qualification. I had a look at the Bath website as an example for the 2016 criteria for Pharmacy - you would need A-level Chemistry and another A-level science or maths, plus a grade C at GCSE for Maths and English Language. This is likely to be typical, and your grade B at GCSE is therefore sufficient.

Firming up on the relevant parts of your GCSE Maths will be needed though. A webpage from Cardiff Uni looks a useful summary of what areas will be relevant to Pharmacy -see

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/mathssuppor...rmy/index.html
Rep:
?
(Original post by Holmstock)
You will need Maths, just not the entire A-level specification/qualification. I had a look at the Bath website as an example for the 2016 criteria for Pharmacy - you would need A-level Chemistry and another A-level science or maths, plus a grade C at GCSE for Maths and English Language. This is likely to be typical, and your grade B at GCSE is therefore sufficient.

Firming up on the relevant parts of your GCSE Maths will be needed though. A webpage from Cardiff Uni looks a useful summary of what areas will be relevant to Pharmacy -see

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/mathssuppor...rmy/index.html
Thank you! That was very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (134)
14.82%
I'm not sure (40)
4.42%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (273)
30.2%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.43%
I'm not a current university student (435)
48.12%

Watched Threads