The Student Room Group

Studying economics at A level?

Hey guys, so I was planning on taking economics at A level but I was just wondering how maths based the course is? Do you need to be very good at maths? Also, in general how did you find the course? Was it enjoyable? The subjects I'm planning on taking are...
- Modern History
- Economics
- English Literature
- Psychology
I know these subjects may seem a little bit random but they're the subjects I'm most interested in. I was wondering if these subjects are ones that will be well regarded by universities? In the future I plan on doing something on the business side of aviation and airlines (such as procurement or HR etc.)
Thanks for the help! :smile:
You don't necessarily be good at maths to do economics. All you need is actually just some common sense and logical thinking. From maths i think understanding the concept of proportionality is enough because in questions the sometimes compare the relationship between the prices and quantities using proportionality.

I personally think economy is super hard because you cannot predict the questions from doing past year papers unlike sciences subjects, you will also need to write essays and the ability to analyse the articles given. Economics also requires you to memorise all the definitions correctly and not like how you understand it because you get marks from writing the definitions accurately in the essay exams.

I am taking economics as level this october and my essays are not improving as much as I hoped because i sometimes don't remember my definitions. That are just according to my opinions and experiences. I hope it helps you!
Original post by sherleentanissa
You don't necessarily be good at maths to do economics. All you need is actually just some common sense and logical thinking. From maths i think understanding the concept of proportionality is enough because in questions the sometimes compare the relationship between the prices and quantities using proportionality.

I personally think economy is super hard because you cannot predict the questions from doing past year papers unlike sciences subjects, you will also need to write essays and the ability to analyse the articles given. Economics also requires you to memorise all the definitions correctly and not like how you understand it because you get marks from writing the definitions accurately in the essay exams.

I am taking economics as level this october and my essays are not improving as much as I hoped because i sometimes don't remember my definitions. That are just according to my opinions and experiences. I hope it helps you!

Essays

Essays

ESSAYS

:afraid:
Original post by Imperion
Essays

Essays

ESSAYS

that's still fine for me though... and I forgot to mention this but there will be TONS of GRAPHS!!!! i can still memorise some of those in the AS but as you get into the A2 they became neverending. I regretted not taking my friend's advice to avoid economics and here i am, with high chance of maybe getting a D in my economics.
Original post by sherleentanissa
that's still fine for me though... and I forgot to mention this but there will be TONS of GRAPHS!!!! i can still memorise some of those in the AS but as you get into the A2 they became neverending. I regretted not taking my friend's advice to avoid economics and here i am, with high chance of maybe getting a D in my economics.

That's what put me off history for good... but I don't think it's that bad... right? :tongue:
Reply 5
Essays

Essays

ESSAYS

Haha I'm fine with the essays part since I'm planning on taking history and English literature so I'll be used to writing a lot of essays! But I was mainly concerned on how difficult the maths is in the course and how other people found the economics course in general.
I was told by an Economics teacher that the subject is going to contain a lot more Maths as the exams are changing. She even recommend that you take Maths to compliment the subject.
Original post by Narz
Hey guys, so I was planning on taking economics at A level but I was just wondering how maths based the course is? Do you need to be very good at maths? Also, in general how did you find the course? Was it enjoyable? The subjects I'm planning on taking are...
- Modern History
- Economics
- English Literature
- Psychology
I know these subjects may seem a little bit random but they're the subjects I'm most interested in. I was wondering if these subjects are ones that will be well regarded by universities? In the future I plan on doing something on the business side of aviation and airlines (such as procurement or HR etc.)
Thanks for the help! :smile:

I will quote from my book, it's the AQA Economics AS book written by Powell
"At the beginning of an economics course, students often seek advice about the amount of mathematics they need to know or must learn to help them with their studies. For AS and A-Level economics, you don't need to learn any more maths skills over and above those that you learnt at GCSE,..."

There is virtually zero maths in it.
The level of conceptualisation is intrinsically non-existent,-- nothing more than basic arithmetic operations (Dividing, subtracting etc). You'll be doing nothing anywhere near as difficult as your counterparts taking Maths or Further Maths so don't worry, you can do it!

Also, the subjects you listed are in bulk quite difficult (Heavily content based, unless you have an eidetic memory it will be a load) and will require quite a bit of effort so don't worry about the universities, just worry on your revision.

Best of luck!
That's what put me off history for good... but I don't think it's that bad... right? :tongue:

economics is actually a fun subject, you can actually learn about the world's economy situation. there are times where the lecture can be really boring but it all depends on your teacher:smile: if you only plan to take econs in AS level then its not that bad though. the problem starts in A2
Original post by Narz
Haha I'm fine with the essays part since I'm planning on taking history and English literature so I'll be used to writing a lot of essays! But I was mainly concerned on how difficult the maths is in the course and how other people found the economics course in general.

Eng lit is like my mortal enemy :giggle: Respect to you bruh if you're doing it at A level :adore:

Quick Reply

Latest