existential
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, I have recently enrolled and I have picked A level English literature, A level English language, A level French and A level Philosophy & Ethics (RS). I would like to know how I can prepare for AS level French, what to expect, how difficult is it and how does the course breakdown? How many tenses and which tenses will I learn? I just want to generally know what to expect and how to prepare best for it.
Many thanks
Nijuuninichi
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I took AQA AS French last year and got 96% UMS overall.

I think if you were confident at GCSE, you shouldn't struggle too much. Even if you don't remember all of the tenses you were taught at GCSE, you still have plenty of time to learn it during the year anyway. To prepare, I would probably review my GCSE tenses and just get used to the French language again. Watch some French speaking vloggers, listen to French music and read things that are in French!

Some examples I liked during Year 12:

Vie de Merde - A bit weird but it's just French speakers moaning about their life. Quite fun to read in your spare time
Oldelaf - A comedic singer song writer my teacher showed me. Some of his songs are quite funny!
Cyprien - Probably the most famous French Youtube I know. Check out his videos, they're funny! There are loads of French vloggers out there, so go out and find your favourite one!

These might be hard to understand at first but the more you go through Year 12, the more you'll understand.

Take a look at the specification for all of the tenses you will need to know (check the Grammatical Structures section).

Don't feel disheartened if the first few lessons knock your self esteem a little. My teacher started off our first AS lesson in 100% French and it was sooo difficult to understand! But you get used to it after a while and pick it up quite quickly! Good luck with Year 12!
rêverie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya, I just took AS AQA French too! I got 91% UMS
My biggest recommend is to do Duolingo every day. Its basically an online language learning website (its free too) which starts at the very basics and builds up, and there's chances to translate larger texts once your at a higher level.
I couldn't agree more with looking at the specification - stay on top of the topic vocal and your life will become SO much easier!
I also loved reading Tintin when I was younger, so I bought the same books in French and loved them. Its all about getting into the language and not getting freaked out.
Hope this helps
https://www.duolingo.com
http://www.languagesonline.org.uk/Hotpotatoes/Index.htm
existential
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nijuuninichi)
Hi, I took AQA AS French last year and got 96% UMS overall.

I think if you were confident at GCSE, you shouldn't struggle too much. Even if you don't remember all of the tenses you were taught at GCSE, you still have plenty of time to learn it during the year anyway. To prepare, I would probably review my GCSE tenses and just get used to the French language again. Watch some French speaking vloggers, listen to French music and read things that are in French!

Some examples I liked during Year 12:

Vie de Merde - A bit weird but it's just French speakers moaning about their life. Quite fun to read in your spare time
Oldelaf - A comedic singer song writer my teacher showed me. Some of his songs are quite funny!
Cyprien - Probably the most famous French Youtube I know. Check out his videos, they're funny! There are loads of French vloggers out there, so go out and find your favourite one!

These might be hard to understand at first but the more you go through Year 12, the more you'll understand.

Take a look at the specification for all of the tenses you will need to know (check the Grammatical Structures section).

Don't feel disheartened if the first few lessons knock your self esteem a little. My teacher started off our first AS lesson in 100% French and it was sooo difficult to understand! But you get used to it after a while and pick it up quite quickly! Good luck with Year 12!
Thank you very much the singer is really funny haha! Do you know how many tenses are actually learnt at AS level? Because we only went over 4/5 at GCSE and I'm worried that I won't know enough.
existential
Rep:
?
(Original post by rêverie)
Hiya, I just took AS AQA French too! I got 91% UMS
My biggest recommend is to do Duolingo every day. Its basically an online language learning website (its free too) which starts at the very basics and builds up, and there's chances to translate larger texts once your at a higher level.
I couldn't agree more with looking at the specification - stay on top of the topic vocal and your life will become SO much easier!
I also loved reading Tintin when I was younger, so I bought the same books in French and loved them. Its all about getting into the language and not getting freaked out.
Hope this helps
https://www.duolingo.com
http://www.languagesonline.org.uk/Hotpotatoes/Index.htm
Thank you so so much!! I have just made an account of duolingo and I am finding it very helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (61)
17.38%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (97)
27.64%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (134)
38.18%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.68%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.13%

Watched Threads