What is Psychology like at this university? Watch

scrawlx101
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I'm going to loughborough for a open day in sept(as I'll be in year 13). I've got ABB for my AS levels so im considering loughborough as my "aspiring" choice but its a toss up between loughborough and Leicester.
LSUFever
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello scrawlx101!

My friend does social psychology at Loughborough and doesn't mind answering your questions, I think she's actually going to be helping with the open day you'll be attending so it might be worth mentioning The Student Room when you're there, in case she is leading your group!

Loughborough has a focus on linguistics and group-individual dynamics for social psychology, but psychology and social psychology are two different courses, handled by different departments. From what I can gather, psychology has a more traditional approach, teaching cognitive and behavioural psychology.

Whatever you end up doing, I hope you have a wonderful time at university! ^_^
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
as the other poster said are you looking at social psychology or straight psychology? my understanding is that the uni is working to allow students to combine more elements of these degrees (i.e. students accepted on social psych course can choose more modules from the straight psychology course)

I did social psychology and one of the benefits was that you can choose a lot of electives from other social science disciplines (sociology, media, criminology, social policy) in your first and final year (second year was reserved for compulsory modules when I was there). Have a look at the specialities of some of the lecturers and see if they sound interesting. It's hard for me to tell you too much cos I haven't done Psychology somewhere else to compare it but if you have any specific questions feel free to ask.

The social psychology department has more of a focus on qualitative research, especially conversation analysis, which takes some getting used to as it's quite different to stuff you will have seen before. My understanding was that the straight psychology course included a lot more biology and maths (taught by biology tutors rather than psychology tutors). I think both courses are pushing placement years now.
Loughborough University
  •  Official Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by scrawlx101)
I'm going to loughborough for a open day in sept(as I'll be in year 13). I've got ABB for my AS levels so im considering loughborough as my "aspiring" choice but its a toss up between loughborough and Leicester.
Hi scrawlx101

We're actually offering more than just psychology and social psychology at Loughborough for 2016.
Here are the list of courses with links for more info:

Business Psychology
Psychology
Psychology with Criminology
Social Psychology
Sport and Exercise Psychology

Hope this helps
Vicky
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Loughborough University
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 6 Mar '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Jun '19

Do you give blood?