ItsBolade
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi. I'm thinking of doing a degree in Midwifery but I know it is a very time consuming and stressful degree and am wondering if it is right for me.
My question is whether midwifery students have the "typical uni experience" as their course is so demanding and stressful as you have to balance the placements with the essays and etc.
And what is your typical weekly timetable?
Thanks in advance.
meganwilders98
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, I am also applying for midwifery. It is 45 weeks of the 52 each year so you do only get 7 weeks off a year unlike 20 like other students. You balance theory and practice from year 1 averaging 37.5 hours a week overall unlike 5-10 hours on other courses. It has night shifts obviously as well. You can have a uni experience I asked students this but as a midwife you have to attain the high standards set by the tutors that you will be a good example etc. You only get 2 days off a week and this may be weekdays so unless you are willing to put in the time and commit maybe a vocational course isn't as ideal. All the students I asked love their course but that's because they have the passion to be a midwife as it's something they really want, your dedication is always assessed at interview. Hope this helps!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Speed1987
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No they don't have the typical University experience, I can ensure you of that. I am a nurse and worked alongside widwiferey students.

The courses are vocational, that means put bluntly, a shed load of work. You'll be working and learning on placement 50% of the year at 37.5hrs. On top of that you'll have essays, clinical skills to demonstrate and practice placement documents (more work). Then your mentor will probably ask you to complete some reflective pieces, it never ends. Lol.

Seriously though, midwifery if more competitive than nursing, you can party etc but not like other students, I speak from experience. The course is simply to demanding and if you stroll in to work and it's apartent, expect a problem to arise. Nurses and midwives are so socially skilled, that they can work you out within minutes. The course is not a given, an I know of students who failed in the 2nd year, imagine that 2 years of study and they didn't make it. I cried for them literally.

Consider what I have said, strongly. The profession you are choosing is damn hard!
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
tbf, the midwifery students I knew at uni partied harder than the nursing students. There's still scope to have fun whilst on your course, however, the course takes priority, you can't be missing lectures or placement as you need the hours to qualify.
Tyra12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello! I’m only 15 and I’ll be doing my lvl 3 course in college to enter uni to study midwifery. I was just wondering if the exams where hard? I am completely motivated to do this job since it’s so rewarding. I am just so nervous for the exams
Bertie183
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My daughter has just completed her 3 yrs at uni for midwifery and is 21 next month, she always wanted to be a midwife and you really need to have a passion for it..it's a very intense course with lots of unpaid 12 and a half hour shifts but with lots of rewards too..you will need to be self disciplined and hard working and quite academic as lots of essays to write and self learning, she has thoroughly enjoyed her experience x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (40)
26.67%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (14)
9.33%
No I am happy with my choice (85)
56.67%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (11)
7.33%

Watched Threads