The Student Room Group

"Can't you hear me, S.O.S.?": TLG's PhD study blog!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Blagged my way through supervision (not very well though!) :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

How was your supervisor? Was she kind of okay with you slacking off? Or was she disappointed? Btw what is her job, with regards to you, precisely?

Oh and did you know that every time I read the thread title I have to sing the chorus of S.O.S!
Original post by gagafacea1
How was your supervisor? Was she kind of okay with you slacking off? Or was she disappointed? Btw what is her job, with regards to you, precisely?

Oh and did you know that every time I read the thread title I have to sing the chorus of S.O.S!

I suspect she was probably a bit disappointed but she hid it well if she was :colondollar: She's incredibly nice to me :redface:

She's basically the person who guides me with regards to reading for/writing the thesis. She's the person I answer to and who keeps me on my toes and makes sure I'm doing enough work :eek: I have an advisor but at my uni, advisors don't really do much afaik. So it's basically just me and my supervisor, aside from annual check-ins with a panel to make sure both me and my supervisor have been doing the right thing throughout the year :yes:
Not done any work for a while :hide: I've set up a new Facebook group for the postgrads in my dept though :awesome:
Is this a funded PHD and is it 3 years TLG?

How do you balance between your health and the work required?

How are you staying motivated?

What will you use it for? / end goal?

:hugs: sorry for being nosey lovely. Don't answer any question that you feel is too personal.
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Is this a funded PHD and is it 3 years TLG?

How do you balance between your health and the work required?

How are you staying motivated?

What will you use it for? / end goal?

:hugs: sorry for being nosey lovely. Don't answer any question that you feel is too personal.

Not too personal at all! Sadly it's an unfunded PhD. The finances are a bit of a longwinded story but essentially my family are running round like headless chickens trying to find the cash :s-smilie: It's 3 years plus a write-up year, so four years in total :yep:

I always prioritise my health but that means I can go weeks without doing a single PhD-related thing :nopity: Fortunately my supervisor is very mental health-friendly in that she understands that sometimes I will have next to nothing to show, whereas other times I'll have done a lot in a short space of time.

I'm not really motivated atm, which is a huge problem. I have two mental health mentors - one academic and one study skills - provided by my uni (one funded by DSA, the other provided by/paid for by the uni), so they tend to keep an eye on me and try and keep me going. I'm using this blog as a motivational factor coz I hate reporting no progress to people I feel accountable to :colondollar:

No particular career plans atm. I'm doing this PhD first and foremost for the love of the subject, but also partly due to immense parental pressure from one parent to do this. I have no plans to go into academia because I don't think anyone would employ me :sad: So the main plan atm is to turn my thesis into a fan-friendly book that all my ABBA fan friends can read and (hopefully?!) enjoy! :h:
Next supervision set for 5th October. I'm determined that today I will do some reading and do something constructive towards PhD. That's if I don't fall asleep from fatigue, though :redface:
Next supervision set for 5th October. I'm determined that today I will do some reading and do something constructive towards PhD. That's if I don't fall asleep from fatigue, though :redface:

About reading and studying in general, do you listen to music while doing that? Or are you more into the quiet library environment
?
About reading and studying in general, do you listen to music while doing that? Or are you more into the quiet library environment
?

Academic libraries have a tendency to make me psychotic :s-smilie: So most of my work/reading is done at home. Sometimes with music on if I need an energy boost, but sometimes not :h:
So on the day that I *finally* manage to summon up enough courage/motivation to open the book my supervisor leant me (yes I know, you're all wondering how on earth I'm doing a PhD if I need to psyche myself up so much to open a damn book :tongue: ), my dad decides that rather than letting me read more than 4-5 pages in peace, it's necessary to come and start reminiscing about stuff that happened before I was born :nothing: :colonhash: :facepalm:

On the plus side, I guess those 4-5 pages got done and hopefully picking the book up tomorrow will be easier :colondollar:

Also, some fun fieldwork coming up: I'm going to a late-night cabaret in Central London put on by some of the cast of Mamma Mia! (West End), featuring songs from the pre- and post-ABBA careers of the four members, plus some ABBA songs that never made it into the musical! :danceboy: :woo: :yeah:
So fieldwork the other night was great fun! One of the admin from one of the Facebook groups I'm working with was there, and we had a good time chatting away. Got some interesting quotes/ideas from him :smile: It was so nice to hear ABBA songs performed by musical theatre stars, because ABBA songs are quite difficult to sing in general! They were performed well and there were some interesting arrangements (Motown, etc). I've tried attaching the programme here!

Also, the ABBA' convention' (for lack of a better term) for next year has been announced! Rather than the Netherlands, it is going to be held in Sweden in late April next year! Exciting :biggrin:

Though, given my supervisor is gonna be in India all of next April, this means I have to get ready for my upgrade (to full PhD student status, as opposed to being an MPhil/PhD student) uber-early :eek:
So fieldwork the other night was great fun! One of the admin from one of the Facebook groups I'm working with was there, and we had a good time chatting away. Got some interesting quotes/ideas from him :smile: It was so nice to hear ABBA songs performed by musical theatre stars, because ABBA songs are quite difficult to sing in general! They were performed well and there were some interesting arrangements (Motown, etc). I've tried attaching the programme here!

This sounds so good! See this is why I sometimes wish I lived in London.

Btw I didn't know about many of these songs (the attachment). And I dare call my self an ABBA fan?
(edited 8 years ago)
This sounds so good! See this is why I sometimes wish I lived in London.

Btw I didn't know about many of these songs (the attachment). And I dare call my self an ABBA fan?

I didn't know any of the non-ABBA ones aside from 'I Know Him So Well' from Chess. So dw! :h:
Task for today: finish the book I'm currently reading for supervisor. Will I manage it? Let's see! :beard:
Task for today: finish the book I'm currently reading for supervisor. Will I manage it? Let's see! :beard:

you can do it :biggrin:
Original post by jelly1000
you can do it :biggrin:

I went for a nap instead and then freaked out coz I think I somehow got sleep paralysis as I was drifting in and out. So no reading done yet :facepalm:
I went for a nap instead and then freaked out coz I think I somehow got sleep paralysis as I was drifting in and out. So no reading done yet :facepalm:

break it into small chunks and reward yourself when you've done each chunk
Original post by jelly1000
break it into small chunks and reward yourself when you've done each chunk

Good thinking! :colondollar: Thanks for the support and for cheering me on :hugs:

Spoiler

Good thinking! :colondollar: Thanks for the support and for cheering me on :hugs:

no problem, after all the support you and the other GoG guys gave me when I was basically having a breakdown over my dissertation I owe it to you! Rewards can just be something simple like a nice hot drink or 5 mins on TSR or something like that!
Original post by REMLewis

Spoiler

:awesome:

Sadly, no Rih Rih involved in my PhD :nah: But rep for you :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending