The Student Room Group

"Can't you hear me, S.O.S.?": TLG's PhD study blog!

Scroll to see replies

:danceboy: yay for good words!
It’s very easy to be critical of your own work:sadnod: (there was an ABBA program on channel 5 on Monday evening btw :smile:)
Original post by gjd800
haha we've all been there with drafts!

Well, i did but I'm well done with the PhD thing so my situation is a bit different these days! The bloke running the course I'm doing now keeps telling me how impressive I am and it makes me cringe, but he writes me nice references so I guess it'll work out in the end haha

Yeah I knew you'd finished a while back, which is why I thought I'd go with the word mentor instead :colondollar: That's great you had supportive supervisors and that your current line manager-type person likes you so much :biggrin: Totally get what you mean about praise being cringeworthy though :ninja:
Original post by laurawatt
:danceboy: yay for good words!
It’s very easy to be critical of your own work:sadnod: (there was an ABBA program on channel 5 on Monday evening btw :smile:)

Thanks for the heads up on that, lovely! I'll see if it's one I've seen before, otherwise will have to watch it coz it's research-related, obviously :ninja:

:ahee:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Thanks for the heads up on that, lovely! I'll see if it's one I've seen before, otherwise will have to watch it coz it's research-related, obviously :ninja:

:ahee:

You can watch things more than once - you always pick up different nuances - so that's sill research:biggrin:

Wishing the followers of this blog a very happy and hopefully-healthy 2021 :grouphugs:
Happy New Yesr to you TLG - praying for a peaceful one :hugs:
Sent off an important networking email relating to my research :ahhhhh: :ninja: :holmes:

Original post by Muttley79
Happy New Yesr to you TLG - praying for a peaceful one :hugs:

Thank you - wish you the same! :hugs:
Feeling so lazy this week. Not sure if it's related to the latest lockdown news or not but just can't gather enough energy/momentum to write PhD words :s-smilie:

Meeting LA supervisor tomorrow and currently got nothing to show her :sad:
Feeling so lazy this week. Not sure if it's related to the latest lockdown news or not but just can't gather enough energy/momentum to write PhD words :s-smilie:

Meeting LA supervisor tomorrow and currently got nothing to show her :sad:

Your supervisor is lovely and will understand that with Christmas and the news on Monday that people will be struggling :hugs:
Original post by Interrobang
Your supervisor is lovely and will understand that with Christmas and the news on Monday that people will be struggling :hugs:

Thank you :redface: I know she'll be nothing but nice about it, but I keep worrying that I'm wasting so much of her time :nopity: Voices are back, so that's not really helping me keep things grounded in reality :no:

Thanks for replying :hugs: Happy New Year!
Thank you :redface: I know she'll be nothing but nice about it, but I keep worrying that I'm wasting so much of her time :nopity: Voices are back, so that's not really helping me keep things grounded in reality :no:

Thanks for replying :hugs: Happy New Year!

Supervision (from a psychology perspective anyway) is about supporting you to do your role - this includes help with problem solving and emotional things that impact on your ability to do the work too

Happy new year to you too :smile:
Health is getting a bit bad this end :frown: I've put on my ABBA playlist again now that Christmas is over, but even that doesn't seem to jumpstart me into being that productive with writing :frown:

In other news, I now have both my PhD supervisors on my Facebook :headfire: Not ideal, in all honesty, but LA supervisor suggested it so that I can see from her posts that she's alive and well (the voices often say she's dead and then I panic and go all psychotic. So having both supervisors on Facebook is to try and circumvent that) :colondollar:
We're with you in this TLG :console:

You can do this :smile:
Hopefully it helps :hugs:
We're with you in this TLG :console:

You can do this :smile:

Original post by laurawatt
Hopefully it helps :hugs:

Thank you both :frown:

:grouphugs:
That's good of them :smile: Remember you can remove them from seeing posts if you want
Original post by Interrobang
That's good of them :smile: Remember you can remove them from seeing posts if you want

Yeah exactly :redface:
Still quite ill but feeling more myself, so have put on my ABBA playlist and trying to string quotes together. Atm it's very "he said, she said, they said" but I guess any progress is welcome atm :redface:
Finally manage to get some kinda shoddy draft for the first section of my third chapter, so I can now move on to the second section :yay: Such a relief, although still a lot more work to do before I can put this chapter behind me and have a complete-ish first draft of it! :work:

Today I was interviewed by someone who wanted to interview ABBA fans about their favourite ABBA songs for a podcast :eek: Weird being the interviewee rather than the interviewer (though I find both positions nervewracking tbh) :ninja:
Great job - PRSOM - every word is progress :hugs:
Great job - PRSOM - every word is progress :hugs:

Thank you. It's hard to find a sense of achievement in it, tbh, because I tend to measure my progress in how many words I write per day. This is a habit LA supervisor is trying to gently beat out of me :eek: So am trying not to count words but then I think I end up minimising my progress because it looks tiny on hte page. If that makes sense :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest