coolsuper101
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hey I'm starting A levels in a week and i need to confirm my choices. I want to be a pilot when i am older so i am definitely taking Physics and Maths. My back up plan is a job in medicine as you can always find work in health care so i will also take Biology. Now i need to make my final choice either History or Textiles. They are not really important as i would drop these after AS.

For GCSE i got A star in History and A in textiles
I honestly do not have one that i favor over the other . I guess it would depend on the work load , ideal the subject with less work load would be better. As i took both in GCSES I know Textiles is a high percentage of coursework and i enjoyed the making part. But history involves coursework as well history is really knowing how to uses key facts , dates and exam tips . Which one do you think i should take?

Thanks
Hayley Williams
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by coolsuper101)
Hey I'm starting A levels in a week and i need to confirm my choices. I want to be a pilot when i am older so i am definitely taking Physics and Maths. My back up plan is a job in medicine as you can always find work in health care so i will also take Biology. Now i need to make my final choice either History or Textiles. They are not really important as i would drop these after AS.

I honestly do not have one that i favor over the other . I guess it would depend on the work load , ideal the subject with less work load would be better. As i took both in GCSES I know Textiles is a high percentage of coursework and i enjoyed the making part. But history involves coursework as well history is really knowing how to uses key facts , dates and exam tips . Which one do you think i should take?

Thanks
History is more suited for applying for medicine than textiles is, doing textiles might make you a more unique candidate, but doing history will give you vital writing skills that doing all science subjects doesn't
troubadour.
Badges: 19
Report 6 years ago

Thanks
For medicine, at least, the fourth AS is quite important. They'll usually stipulate that you have a fourth AS at a minimum of grade B/C/E (UCL asks for an E in the fourth AS - strange, huh?).

If it was me I'd take History because I'm good at that and because I suck at Textiles. :3
Ani_2303
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I would say do History. You did better at GCSE and it's more respected (even though your other 3 are strong subjects so what you do as a fourth won't matter that much). I did History at A-Level and yeah it's a lot of memorising and you need to master the exam technique. The people who I know that did textiles didn't like it that much at a-level because I think you have to have to learn more about materials and the industry (but you might love the course). For me, History AS didn't have course work so I wasn't that stressed during the year but cramming all the facts for the exam was stressful.

That's just my experience, it depends on what exam board you're on and to some extent the teachers you have.
coolsuper101
Rep:
?
Thank you for the help. I think i will take History . I enjoyed it in GCSES.
MCKP
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey I'm doing
Economics
ICT
Biology
History
Are these good choices?
coolsuper101
Rep:
?
Do you know what you want to be when your older? Or what degree you want to take for uni ?
MCKP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Do you know what you want to be when your older? Or what degree you want to take for uni ?
I want to do a business management degree at university however I'm terrible at maths which is why i didn't take it l.
MCKP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Would I be able to go onto a business management degree with these a levels?
coolsuper101
Rep:
?
It is really important the you meet the entry requirements of a course. I have found the reference atwww.bath.ac.uk/management/courses/undergraduate/bb.../

The University of Bath does not favour the combination of Business Studies and Economics. If you are taking four A levels this may matter less. Bath would prefer it if you were offering History, Psychology and one of Economics or Business Studies.Their reasons are stated as "We have a strong preference for applicants with qualifications that demonstrate a breadth and depth of learning, which includes a combination of mathematics/sciences, with arts/humanities" you satisfy the entry requirements.they do also look at GCSEs and require B in maths and c in English language but university's vary
coolsuper101
Rep:
?
They would probably prefer you do baths but I think your choices are five but you may want to conduct as use of maths
Flapjack72
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
WARNING! DO NOT TAKE PHYSICS! you will NOT get an A (just thought I'll be the first to let you know). If you really want to get an A in a subject, do R.S, economics, psychology, media studies (these are one of the soft subjects which you will definitely get an A in). Also, don't give yourself the burden of taking subjects which the course your applying for doesn't require...For example, I wanted to apply for medicine and I chose maths, bio, chem and physics then I realised I didn't even have to do maths and physics and my friends who only did bio, chem and two soft subjects were also applying for medicine.... so yeah! I chose maths and physics because I thought they were cool and impressive AND I thought I had an advantage over the other applicants but I really did not! Don't waste an A basically...

Good Luck!!!

Also.. do you even have to do a degree to become a pilot.. correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it just a 1/2 year course and then you apply for a licence?

Oh and if your looking into aeronautical/aerospace engineering then I would recommend you do physics and maths plus TWO soft subjects
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads