The Student Room Group

French Speaking Assessment - Useful techniques/phrases?

I am in year 11, and in a few days I have my French speaking controlled assessment. I need to have a presentation on the topic of my favourite movie, and it needs to be 3 minutes long. After that, my teacher will ask me 5 questions of any tense.

Are there any useful techniques/phrases that I need to use to get a good grade. For example: Apres avoir and justifying my opinions.

Merci in advance
Reply 1
Le Bump
Reply 2
As long as you have the basics, you should be fine - but I'd say that you should make sure that you fully understand the question before answering, they'll probably be more impressed by a confident "Pouvez-vous repeter s'i vous plait?" than someone struggling with an answer that's got nothing to do with the question. :tongue:

A few useful phrases:
-Malgre: despite (NEVER followed by "que")
-En effet: indeed
-En fait (pronounced like fete): actually
-Il s'avere que: it turns out that
Basically any turn of phrase that you can think of, but don't overuse them either - if it's a fairly informal setting, using big words isn't really appropriate. As long as you can get your point across you'll be fine. (sorry for the absence of accents, I can't do them on my keyboard)

That being said I have no experience passing a French oral exam in the English system, it's just that I've lived in France for that last 9 years. :wink: Good luck!
Original post by bloxman28
I am in year 11, and in a few days I have my French speaking controlled assessment. I need to have a presentation on the topic of my favourite movie, and it needs to be 3 minutes long. After that, my teacher will ask me 5 questions of any tense.

Are there any useful techniques/phrases that I need to use to get a good grade. For example: Apres avoir and justifying my opinions.

Merci in advance

I going to be Year 10 et I love French but that being said I've no experience of a GCSE French speaking situation. Pourtant, I do have some resources which have a lot of idioms and sentence structures if you need inspiration
And some time connectives:

https://quizlet.com/_165545
Reply 5
Original post by Ephilas
As long as you have the basics, you should be fine - but I'd say that you should make sure that you fully understand the question before answering, they'll probably be more impressed by a confident "Pouvez-vous repeter s'i vous plait?" than someone struggling with an answer that's got nothing to do with the question. :tongue:

A few useful phrases:
-Malgre: despite (NEVER followed by "que":wink:
-En effet: indeed
-En fait (pronounced like fete): actually
-Il s'avere que: it turns out that
Basically any turn of phrase that you can think of, but don't overuse them either - if it's a fairly informal setting, using big words isn't really appropriate. As long as you can get your point across you'll be fine. (sorry for the absence of accents, I can't do them on my keyboard)

That being said I have no experience passing a French oral exam in the English system, it's just that I've lived in France for that last 9 years. :wink: Good luck!

Thanks for the phrases. I'm going to try and use a few of them, as my teacher always tells us to use phrases that can impress the examiner by sounding more "french"
Reply 6
Original post by loki123456
I going to be Year 10 et I love French but that being said I've no experience of a GCSE French speaking situation. Pourtant, I do have some resources which have a lot of idioms and sentence structures if you need inspiration

Thanks a lot for the word document! It was really useful for preparing my speech and extending my sentences :biggrin: merci beaucoup
Also, if you're talking about your favourite actors:
Il a une tablette de chocolat - He has a six pack
Elle a une taile de guepe - She has a thin waist
Je ne pense pas que Elle/Il soit sympa - I don't think she is nice (This is beyond GCSE but perhaps you could just memorise it and use it once to impress the examiner)
Je suis accro avec - I am obsessed with
Direct Object Pronouns:
Je la trouve tellement jolie - I find her really pretty
Also, easier said than done, don't panic! In my GCSE Chinese oral, I panicked after one minor mistake which lead me to saying 'the wind is tall'. :biggrin:

Even then, It didn't prevent me from getting an A* in speaking, so don't feel the need to do everything perfectly as that would only put more pressure on you which increases the chances of you making mistakes.

Quick Reply

Latest