The Student Room Group

Shocking degree classification system

After discussing results with my friends who went to Uni, I found out that some of them had gotten a 59% percent average and acquired a 2:2 degree and some other friends with a 57.5% average for example had received a 2:1.

I am aware that individuals with extenuating circumstances may have their classification boosted up and I am also aware that many people fake their EC's. So surely getting a 2:1 or a First is sometimes just a matter of strolling into the local NHS and saying you feel f'ed.

I'm not at University myself but care very much about this generations' education system and just feel that these stories I hear about are shocking!
Original post by Inowner
After discussing results with my friends who went to Uni, I found out that some of them had gotten a 59% percent average and acquired a 2:2 degree and some other friends with a 57.5% average for example had received a 2:1.

I am aware that individuals with extenuating circumstances may have their classification boosted up and I am also aware that many people fake their EC's. So surely getting a 2:1 or a First is sometimes just a matter of strolling into the local NHS and saying you feel f'ed.

I'm not at University myself but care very much about this generations' education system and just feel that these stories I hear about are shocking!

It's not that simple - you need a diagnosis and proof of whatever illness you have (i.e. a letter from your doctor explaining it/proof of what medication you're on) and proof of how long it has affected you and whether that coincides with any exams/coursework that you haven't done well on.

Also, don't be fooled - a lot of people will play down their illness to their friends especially if it's a mental illness. So even they appear fine to you, the reality could be a lot different and only their doctor will know the truth - not their friends.
It usually depends on the university that you attend. Some universities are really harsh and won't increase the degree classification no matter how close you are to the one above while others do increase it.
The degree classification may also have increased for some because all their previous work may have been at a 2:1 standard and they messed up on 1 or 2 exams.
Reply 3
It's the same for A-Levels and GCSEs, the number of ECs you can "claim" to get a higher grade are ridiculous, so really it's no wonder that the degree classification is as murky as it is given that it starts at much lower levels.
Yeah it's not fair. I know a girl who got 67% and still got a first. Mind you she did go see the lecturers for a good "2 hours" and had some white stuff across her face when she left and kept crying.
So your problem with the classification schemes in universities is that someone in Uni A gets 58.5% and receives a 2.1 and someone at Uni B gets a 59% and receives a 2.2. The biggest difference in universities is not the classification schemes, but rather that the overall percentages at Uni A would be different at Uni B. It's an awful lot harder to get a 59% at Imperial than it is to get a 58.5% at Cumbria. This is a greater inequality and it doesn't really come down to grade classification.

But a reason why it's harder at Imperial, percentage-wise, is because of the more stringent academic standards. People respect Imperial because when they say a candidate got a 59%, they actually got a 59% mark, and people respect that when Imperial say that a candidate got a 2.1 they got 60%+.
(edited 8 years ago)
She didn't say in different universities.You can't say universities percentages are different

Latest

Trending

Trending