The Student Room Group

Starting AS levels next week, any advice?

Hi guys,

I'm taking biology, chemistry, physics, maths and history.
Because of the subjects i'm taking I know there'll be a huge amount of work, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice for organising it all?

I was also wondering whether I should start studying at home everyday, and for how long?

Oh and is there anything I should do, before starting, to prepare? (I start on Thursday)

Reply 1
I'm about to go into A2 (Biology, Psychology, History and dropped Chemistry)...

I think past papers will be your friend here! I did a lot of past papers to help me with my Biology. You'll also notice a pattern in the marking scheme, my teachers would always tell me to learn the mark scheme, and doing past papers will really help you. Also making sure you keep a list of key words for every subject because these key words can help you get those higher marks. I also made flash cards for myself with questions from past papers to help me get my head around how to answer them and what gets you the marks.

With History, at least in mine, key dates were pretty important so I made a few timelines of events. I think the best thing is to learn how to approach the questions, and practise answering them. My teacher gave me a list of all of the possible questions that could come up, and I'd right down key points for each one. Again, learning what they look for in the mark scheme is key and we'd also be made to make our own mark schemes to get us used to it.

Definitely start studying as soon as possible, I regret leaving it until later. The sooner you get into it the better! Make sure you do all of your homework and assignments when you get them as well, not leaving them until last minute.

Good luck!
You just need to work continuously, ask LOTS of questions and let the school know if you feel bogged down as if you start to feel under strain it will be reflected in your grades. past papers, spec and extended learning like documentaries, subject specific journals and books will not only look good on your uni application but massively benefit your learning. Also start practicing timed papers, questions etc. from the beginning as the biggest issue for me and lots of others at AS was time management in the exams.
For the love of god, if you have any problems with your teachers, report it immediately. I had poor teachers for English and I had a D in my English AS as a result of not having a clue of what I was doing in the exam. That's what I've learnt from my first year of A levels.

Quick Reply

Latest