The Student Room Group

I took 2.5 months off from weight lifting/training, have I lost most of it?

Anon because I'm embarrassed. Was training for about 9 months before then but I haven't stepped in the gym for a long time because tbh I lost motivation for a few weeks and I just didn't get back in (really bad I know). I'm really annoyed with myself. Im a girl btw.

Soo have I most likely lost most of my gains? Be brutally honest, I know weight training is a lifestyle and I feel like I need the tough love if I want to start taking it more seriously :s-smilie:
Reply 1
Size wont have decreased too much, you will be much weaker though.
Probably, but on the plus side it's much easier to regain strength and muscle mass than it is to add it in the first place so you should be able to get back to your previous level more quickly.
You're not going to be "starting over" as such.

Remember alongside "gains" over those 9 months you also will have gained experience in how/when to do lifts, and that places you in a better position than someone starting from nothing.
Reply 4
Original post by nickmurp
Size wont have decreased too much, you will be much weaker though.

Original post by Helloworld_95
Probably, but on the plus side it's much easier to regain strength and muscle mass than it is to add it in the first place so you should be able to get back to your previous level more quickly.

Should I continue with my original training schedule which was focusing on strength or should I follow a different, beginners plan?
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
Should I continue with my original training schedule which was focusing on strength or should I follow a different, beginners plan?

Continue with the original, just lighten everything up a bit.
Why is this in relationships? Or even anything to be embarrassed about?

I had to stop training for 8 weeks due to health problems and doctors orders! Yes you will be weaker, yes you will feel pathetic when you first go back and yes it will hurt like a bitch the next day but you've just got to do it.

On the plus side, you're a GIRL. literally nobody in the gym is going to judge you doing light weight because hell most women max out on 2kg dumbells anyway. The mere fact you're in the weights section will be impressive.

I'd stick with your old routine, just lighten it up. You might need to find your new max and work towards that. Honestly, it'll come back quickly if you're dedicated. You did it before you can do it again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending