The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Personal Statement advice

Hi all, will be applying for university this year (soon to start my second and final year at college in September) and was wondering if any of you knew some great tips and advice for when writing up your personal statement?

Really appreciate it, cheers!
Reply 1
The content depends on what subject area you'd be applying for. What type of course are you looking into?
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Extra-curriculars don't matter*

*Exceptions exist
Original post by Ephilas
The content depends on what subject area you'd be applying for. What type of course are you looking into?

Looking to study I.T at university, more specifically Computer Science or anything related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by simplicitymusic
Looking to study I.T at university, more specifically Computer Science or anything related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, first things first a strong introduction and conclusion are key - first and last impressions really count when someone's reading their 30th statement of the day.

I seem to recall mine was about 80% school activities and 20% extra-curricular, but as I went through the French education system which is full on I didn't really have time for anything extra.

I'd say for I.T. you need to focus on computer skills, be it in class or at home - gaming, programming, anything like that - also communication and "social skills" which are required for pretty much anything nowadays.

Whatever you may read online, don't try to make your P.S. memorable by adding quotes or jokes unless they really add something to it - it seems that most people prefer to read a matter-of-fact document written by someone who is passionate about what they are doing.

Also, ask your tutors to read through it a few times (or make suggestions before you've even started) to make sure you put yourself forward in the best light possible. I even asked my cousin to read through it as she studied English at uni, and she gave me a few pointers on wording and that sort of stuff.

Last bit of advice: try and write "from the heart". I know it sounds a bit corny, but if you write it informally to start with to jot ideas down, it'll read much better in the end than trying to string random "keyword" sentences together.

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me :smile:
It really doesn't matter, as long as you don't tell them to f off or that you're an active member of Britain First your PS will make absolutely no difference to how they consider you.

Quick Reply

Latest