imkansiz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hey, my school s not providing triple science as a GCSE this year because there are not enough science teachers, however because I enjoy science and want to study medicine I want to take it privately. I have a few questions to ask which I really need help on, this is my situation:

I took core in year 10 with edexcel and got a B couple Ums off an A, this year I will be taking additional science edexcel with my school.

If I take triple science with Aqa privately would I struggle? and is the system different? Some people say they give you a separate grade for chemistry biology and physics how would this work if i do edexcel core and additional?

My second option is taking Edexcel Igcse triple science? again would I struggle? And how would it work if i get a separate grade for chemistry biology and physics when I have core and additional with edexcel gcse?

Which one is more suitable Aqa or edexcel iGCSE Triple science - with my core and additional edexcel
I'm looking forward for all the replies thank you!!!!
imkansiz
Rep:
?
Also if I do triple science gcse with AQA would I struggle because im doing edexcel additional science?
bushra.nawaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
Also if I do triple science gcse with AQA would I struggle because im doing edexcel additional science?
no as long as you put your head down and concentrate, you will be fine. im doing triple science this year too
iss123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
Hey, my school s not providing triple science as a GCSE this year because there are not enough science teachers, however because I enjoy science and want to study medicine I want to take it privately. I have a few questions to ask which I really need help on, this is my situation:

I took core in year 10 with edexcel and got a B couple Ums off an A, this year I will be taking additional science edexcel with my school.

If I take triple science with Aqa privately would I struggle? and is the system different? Some people say they give you a separate grade for chemistry biology and physics how would this work if i do edexcel core and additional?

My second option is taking Edexcel Igcse triple science? again would I struggle? And how would it work if i get a separate grade for chemistry biology and physics when I have core and additional with edexcel gcse?

Which one is more suitable Aqa or edexcel iGCSE Triple science - with my core and additional edexcel
first of all you can be a doctor with double science
i hate it when people say if they dont do triple science you cant be a doctor
i did triple science and came out with a BCC
i revised solidly for 2 years and all i can say is that it is really hard
knowledge was in my head but its hard applying it to the final 3 exams for triple science students. It almost gave me a mental breakdown all the science exams
as you have to do 9 exams for science instead of 6 for double science students
i got As and a few Bs in my core and additional and unfortunately the triple science p7c7andb7 screwed me over geting Cs and Ds in those units

i for one highly recommend double science
however i am grateful as i am now going to study maths with stats, accounting and Btec medical science
and my aspirations is to study chemical engineering at Loughbrough
or to study accounting at London school of economics and political science

good luck for your gcse exams
imkansiz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bushes1309)
no as long as you put your head down and concentrate, you will be fine. im doing triple science this year too
What did you get for core, and what examboard? Also thank you
Friar Chris
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by iss123)
It would disadvantage you. Just because it's possible doesn't mean it's optimal.
imkansiz
Rep:
?
i did triple science and came out with a BCC
i revised solidly for 2 years and all i can say is that it is really hard
knowledge was in my head but its hard applying it to the final 3 exams for triple science students. It almost gave me a mental breakdown all the science exams
as you have to do 9 exams for science instead of 6 for double science students

i for one highly recommend double science
however i am grateful as i am now going to study maths with stats, accounting and Btec medical science
and my aspirations is to study chemical engineering at Loughbrough
or to study accounting at London school of economics and political science

good luck for your gcse exams
Thank you for giving me advice!, however wouldn't they ask why I didn't do triple science If i wanted to do sciences for A-level? Also I got a B for core which is why i dont want to mess up my chances if I do triple. And I get under a lot of stress and pressure too. I wish you the best with maths with stats, accounting and Btec medical science! thank you so much x
iss123
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
Thank you for giving me advice!, however wouldn't they ask why I didn't do triple science If i wanted to do sciences for A-level? Also I got a B for core which is why i dont want to mess up my chances if I do triple. And I get under a lot of stress and pressure too. I wish you the best with maths with stats, accounting and Btec medical science! thank you so much x
they certainly would not
i was forced to do triple science and all my friends did double
they got As and Bs and got into science a levels with no problem
all that is needed is that you get BB in science

double science is better trust me
just work hard and you will be ok
imkansiz
Rep:
?
they certainly would not
i was forced to do triple science and all my friends did double
they got As and Bs and got into science a levels with no problem
all that is needed is that you get BB in science

double science is better trust me
just work hard and you will be ok

Thank you so much, im willing to sacrifice a lot this year hope I do well x
username638070
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
I have several friends who did double and are currently studying medicine/engineering/sciences (STEM subjects). If it isn't offered at your school and you are worried about this, you can ask your teacher to say that in the UCAS reference they give you. Universities won't expect you to take it outside of school - especially on top of the double science you're already taking. It shouldn't make a difference if you take sciences at A level and have good predicted grades when it comes to applying.

Edit: if it's going to add extra stress and potentially affect your other grades, definitely don't take it on. It's not important enough to risk the rest suffering.
imkansiz
Rep:
?
(Original post by BlueDuck)
I have several friends who did double and are currently studying medicine/engineering/sciences (STEM subjects). If it isn't offered at your school and you are worried about this, you can ask your teacher to say that in the UCAS reference they give you. Universities won't expect you to take it outside of school - especially on top of the double science you're already taking. It shouldn't make a difference if you take sciences at A level and have good predicted grades when it comes to applying.

Edit: if it's going to add extra stress and potentially affect your other grades, definitely don't take it on. It's not important enough to risk the rest suffering.
This helped me a lot and answered my questions thank you loads x
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)

You can't do that as you'll be repeating modules - triple is just three more exams on top of what you're doing. ASk in school if they will enter you for this - it may be called further additional science - you'll need to check.

If I were you I'd go for higher grades in additional science - at least a grade A.
imkansiz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
You can't do that as you'll be repeating modules - triple is just three more exams on top of what you're doing. ASk in school if they will enter you for this - it may be called further additional science - you'll need to check.

If I were you I'd go for higher grades in additional science - at least a grade A.
My school is not entering me i will be entering privately, wouldn't they just give me an overall grade for triple aqa?
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
My school is not entering me i will be entering privately, wouldn't they just give me an overall grade for triple aqa?
Ask your school if you can pay - you just need to sit the last three papers - Biol 3, Chem 3 and Phy 3.

Exams are linear now so you can't do triple unless you sit all 9 in Year 11 - you can take Additional Further (check what AQA call it).

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...l-science-4410
WannabeDoctor98
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
I did triple science with AQA and I would say it's relatively easy to self teach because you basically have to just learn the text book. (I'm sure your teachers would let you ask questions in lunch breaks if you got stuck). The further additional sciences have a lot less content then core and additional (due to the fact you have less time to learn it) and everyone at my school said further additional was a lot easier then additional. (80% of my year do triple science). Also the further additional for both biology and physics is largely medicine related topics so it's quite interesting which makes it easier to pick up ☺️
Oh and if it interests you I got A* at core and I'm getting my additional and further additional remarked because 2 and 4 marks of A*- also I want to do medicine too! Good luck on whatever you decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
imkansiz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Ask your school if you can pay - you just need to sit the last three papers - Biol 3, Chem 3 and Phy 3.

Exams are linear now so you can't do triple unless you sit all 9 in Year 11 - you can take Additional Further (check what AQA call it).

http://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/scien...l-science-4410
oh my so I cant just take aqa triple unless i do core and additonal?
imkansiz
Rep:
?
(Original post by WannabeDoctor98)
I did triple science with AQA and I would say it's relatively easy to self teach because you basically have to just learn the text book. (I'm sure your teachers would let you ask questions in lunch breaks if you got stuck). The further additional sciences have a lot less content then core and additional (due to the fact you have less time to learn it) and everyone at my school said further additional was a lot easier then additional. (80% of my year do triple science). Also the further additional for both biology and physics is largely medicine related topics so it's quite interesting which makes it easier to pick up ☺️
Oh and if it interests you I got A* at core and I'm getting my additional and further additional remarked because 2 and 4 marks of A*- also I want to do medicine too! Good luck on whatever you decide.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much, wow you've done so well for core, additional and further additional, those are the grades I hope I receive in year 11, maybe you should send the 2 mark one for a remark? I wish you the best with A-levels and hope you get in to medicine as you sure do deserve it! I have one question, to do further additional aqa do I need to do core and additional?
whydoidothis?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You should do it as its an extra gcse.
Medicine is still possible with double award but you got a B.
Also i had to teach myself Biology gcse in year 10 as i wanted to take it early, i got full UMS so if you need any tips pm me.
Last point is you got a B in year 10 when you had no pressure do you think you can handle an extra subject when your taking 15+ exams for all your gcses without teacher support.

Putting it into perpective:You need a bag of A and A* grades at gcse.
Do you think self teaching and extra gcse will stop you from getting A* in your other subjects.
Or do you think you can make up for that B by working hard and getting an A* along with A and A* grades in your other subjects.
Or you don't take it and get 1A*7A and a B grade (minimum gcse requirements for 'easy' med schools like st Georges).

Outcomes 2 and 3 are good obviously.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
oh my so I cant just take aqa triple unless i do core and additonal?
Exactly - either persuade your school to let you pay for the qualification I sent you details of or get high grades for Additional.

You really need A/A* for science ...
bushra.nawaz
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rojda)
What did you get for core, and what examboard? Also thank you
i have only completed biology bc it was a separate science course. i received an A on the aqa examboard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (75)
37.5%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (21)
10.5%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.5%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (50)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.5%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed