The Student Room Group

Girls if youre wearing a short skirt and the wind blows it up

do you feel angry if a guy looks but doesnt deliberatly avert his gaze? or do accept this as an accepted hazard of wearing the outfit.
what is the correct social etiquette.

im assuming its a similar situation as you seeing a male builders butt-crack

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
In my opinion, you can't be angry at someone for not restricting their field of view due to your own problem. Obviously it may be etiquette but being angry at someone for not following it is just stupid.
Original post by Chakede
do you feel angry if a guy looks but doesnt deliberatly avert his gaze? or do accept this as an accepted hazard of wearing the outfit.

Normally girls should wear skirts in the summer not in windy conditions, because inevitably that will result in their skirts being blown.

But if by accident I witnessed a girl with her skirt blown, I'd quickly look away, but if you stare hard with a passion, then that's just perverted and desperate.:lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Chakede

Original post by Dartychu
In my opinion, you can't be angry at someone for not restricting their field of view due to your own problem. Obviously it may be etiquette but being angry at someone for not following it is just stupid.

In both the male builder's and the girl's skirt scenarios, the polite, done thing is to look away. In either case, if somebody chose to stare, the person in question would be within their rights to get annoyed. Surely this is common sense?
Reply 4
Original post by abc:)
In both the male builder's and the girl's skirt scenarios, the polite, done thing is to look away. In either case, if somebody chose to stare, the person in question would be within their rights to get annoyed. Surely this is common sense?

Staring and looking away are polar opposites. Don't you realise that there are things one can do which are in between? Also, remember that seeing a piece of fabric fly up when the wind blows is definitely going to catch the eyes of many people. How is this their fault? If I'm talking to my friend and somewhere in my peripheral vision someone's skirt flies up, I'm not going to take cover, build myself an anderson shelter and hide away until the "terrifying" ordeal is over, and if somebody has a problem with this then they can go **** themselves.
Reply 5
Reply 6
Staring and looking away are polar opposites. Don't you realise that there are things one can do which are in between? Also, remember that seeing a piece of fabric fly up when the wind blows is definitely going to catch the eyes of many people. How is this their fault? If I'm talking to my friend and somewhere in my peripheral vision someone's skirt flies up, I'm not going to take cover, build myself an anderson shelter and hide away until the "terrifying" ordeal is over, and if somebody has a problem with this then they can go **** themselves.

Very poetic, but actually I think by 'averting your gaze', OP means something roughly like this: :rolleyes: which is fairly simple and easily done :smile:
Reply 7
Very poetic, but actually I think by 'averting your gaze', OP means something roughly like this: :rolleyes: which is fairly simple and easily done :smile:

I'd rather be rude to the random person who chose not to wear the appropriate clothing for the weather than to my friend whom I actually know. If you start looking around the room/outdoors during a conversation, believe it or not many people find it incredibly rude.
Reply 8
Original post by frida.

she looks happy enough
Well if a girls skirt or dress blew up I'd certainly look, but there's a difference between a quick glance and full on leering.
Reply 10
I'd rather be rude to the random person who chose not to wear the appropriate clothing for the weather than to my friend whom I actually know. If you start looking around the room/outdoors during a conversation, believe it or not many people find it incredibly rude.

"Appropriate for the weather" ok next time I wear a skirt I'll do a detailed investigation beforehand of where and when there will be unexpected gusts of wind

Oh excuse me, I think my sides have split. Let me quickly fix them.
Short shorts mean that you can easily avoid this :tongue:
Original post by lucymellor
"Appropriate for the weather" ok next time I wear a skirt I'll do a detailed investigation beforehand of where and when there will be unexpected gusts of wind

Wearing a short skirt comes with risks like this, if you don't like it then don't wear them. Simple as that.
There's no problem with glancing because it caught your eye, or looking because you were looking in that direction anyway, but I'd take objection to prolonged staring; once they've realised what has happened it would be polite to look elsewhere.
Reply 16
Original post by Chakede
she looks happy enough

my point exactly :biggrin:
Original post by Chakede

I think omg why am i not wearing tights
Wearing a short skirt comes with risks like this, if you don't like it then don't wear them. Simple as that.

I know full well a skirt can be unexpectedly blown up, and I have no objection to people glancing over, but staring is just rude. Don't be a pervert. Simple as that.
Original post by lucymellor
I know full well a skirt can be unexpectedly blown up, and I have no objection to people glancing over, but staring is just rude. Don't be a pervert. Simple as that.

And I never said I would stare, but demanding members of the public to look away from you in a public area is just unreasonable.

Quick Reply

Latest