The Student Room Group

Opinions on wearing real fur?

For a while now this has been something that I have had a strong opinion on, I will start by saying that I am all for wearing real fur as long as I know that the animal hasn't been violently killed.

I hear alot of people going on about how it's terrible to be wearing real fur, and these people are quite happy to be eating meat and wearing real leather, or sheepskin... so really, they're just hypocrites. It's the same with girls who go on about how they're so against animal testing yet they wear MAC makeup completely unaware or maybe in secret of being aware that MAC are mainly known for testing on animals.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
quite frankly, if the animal is dead by natural means then sure go ahead because it'll just be going to waste, but then it has the potential to spiral into something much bigger, like people going out and deliberately killing (possibly endangered) animals because of the real-fur having a high value on it

a lot of people think that people who wear real fur are cruella deville (excuse my spelling) sorta people who violently murder dogs or something and don't think about the fact the animal could've died naturally
Reply 2
Original post by Swoy
quite frankly, if the animal is dead by natural means then sure go ahead because it'll just be going to waste, but then it has the potential to spiral into something much bigger, like people going out and deliberately killing (possibly endangered) animals because of the real-fur having a high value on it

a lot of people think that people who wear real fur are cruella deville (excuse my spelling) sorta people who violently murder dogs or something and don't think about the fact the animal could've died naturally

Exactly. I have a real fur stole and if i thought for a minute that the Mink had been killed violently then I wouldn't ever wear it again. If the animal has died through running out In front of a car or something like that then I don't see the issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't wear fur only because I don't like the way it looks. But as long as I could prove to myself that the animal wasn't tortured or unnecessarily harmed before being killed, I'd wear it.
Not violently killed? What about the life it has been subjected to up to that point?

That suggests you'd be ok wearing an animal that had been tortured all its life as long as it had a quick bullet to the head at the end.
Reply 5
Original post by HuskyCharc
Not violently killed? What about the life it has been subjected to up to that point?

That suggests you'd be ok wearing an animal that had been tortured all its life as long as it had a quick bullet to the head at the end.

I'm saying that if I know the animal has died through natural causes or accidental, I wouldn't have an issue with it. If I thought it had been slaughtered, I most likely wouldn't wear it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Given that faux fur looks just the same, I don't understand why real fur clothing even exists.

I used to be involved in animal rights, and I remember reading that fur is often mislabelled and hard to trace its production. There are farms in China that kill cats and dogs for their fur. You've no guarantee where your fur coat came from, how it was produced or what animal was killed and how.
Reply 7
Original post by Veggiechic6
Given that faux fur looks just the same, I don't understand why real fur clothing even exists.

I used to be involved in animal rights, and I remember reading that fur is often mislabelled and hard to trace its production. There are farms in China that kill cats and dogs for their fur. You've no guarantee where your fur coat came from, how it was produced or what animal was killed and how.

I wear it because it's soft, warm, and I love animals.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think it's pointless and disgusting, so is buying animal tested makeup, the only time I think animal testing can be justified(only slightly justified...) is when testing for drugs and medicines, for cosmetics and fashion-statments it's a disgusting and cruel waste of life.
Reply 9
Agree with what you have said, as long as the animal has not been violently killed. I used to be against it but I realised I am being very hypocritical, plus I love the way it looks. Saying that, I don't think I'd ever buy a real fur coat.
Original post by drowzee
Agree with what you have said, as long as the animal has not been violently killed. I used to be against it but I realised I am being very hypocritical, plus I love the way it looks. Saying that, I don't think I'd ever buy a real fur coat.

but it still dies....
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes
I think it's pointless and disgusting, so is buying animal tested makeup, the only time I think animal testing can be justified(only slightly justified...) is when testing for drugs and medicines, for cosmetics and fashion-statments it's a disgusting and cruel waste of life.

So who else are we meant to test it on? Humans?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drowzee

Exactly. I'm all for good fashion statements but I'm not for killing animals for no reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elliemayxo
So who else are we meant to test it on? Humans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What cosmetics or medicines and new drugs?
Original post by elliemayxo
I wear it because it's soft, warm, and I love animals.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That made no sense... :confused:

Faux fur is soft and warm. Real fur is soft and warm when it's worn by an animal. If you loved them so much, why would you be happy for them to die for the sake of an item of clothing of which there are thousands of death-free alternatives?
What cosmetics or medicines and new drugs?

Anything in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
but it still dies....

What's your point? Only mean when it dies naturally, but then you never know, so that's why I would not wear real fur.
Original post by Veggiechic6
That made no sense... :confused:

Faux fur is soft and warm. Real fur is soft and warm when it's worn by an animal. If you loved them so much, why would you be happy for them to die for the sake of an item of clothing of which there are thousands of death-free alternatives?

I just simply said that if I thought the animal had been killed purely to be made into a clothing item then I wouldn't wear it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For me it depends on the animal and the slaughter method. If it isn't endangered, was killed humanely and preferably wasn't just killed for its pelt I can't really voice an objection without being a hypocrite.

Know someone who has a rabbit skin coat, the rabbits were bred for the purpose and I eat meat and wear leather. Didn't object to this coat.

Then saw a news item about smuggled Snow Leopard pelts, I saw red.
(edited 8 years ago)
Morally there's nothing wrong with it I don't think. Fur is soft and warm, and if an animal is of more use dead than alive then by all means it should be killed.

But in a practical sense, you're liable to get some crazy animal rights activists wanting to lynch you. You'd be alright in continental Europe I think, but people in the UK can be psychotic when it comes to animals.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending