The Student Room Group

Why do people call pigeons "Rats with wings"? (Biology heavy)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MylittlePlusle
That doesn't make them a parasite. A tapeworm is a parasite, it needs its host to survive and in causes harm to its host, a pigeon doesn't have a host, it is able to feed itself and it doesn't cause harm to anything, they may be a nuisance but they dn't hurt anyone it is NOT a parasite. It maybe be considered a "pest" but it is NOT a parasite!

They dont feed themselves, they feed off human food. They are HARMING THE ECONOMY BECAUSE THEY ARE MAKING PEOPLE BUY BREAD AND FEED IT TO THEM. THEY ARE PARASITES!!!
Original post by lllllllllll
Bats are literally rats with wings and at least bats are mammals. Moreover I'll guess that bats evolved from rats/mice since I assume that rodents were the first mammals.

No, thy're not
Bats are not in the order of Rodentia, they are in the order Chiroptera.

I hate it when people are ignorant to biology...
Original post by nase14_aldayz
I know, I'm sick of their constant marches with their pro-litter agenda.

Spoiler

You have a wonderful way of looking at the world :argh:
People compare them because pigeons are common, breed easily, are often attracted to areas where there is food (which includes waste and stuff in the streets) and can become numerous and a pest, especially in urban areas. Very much like rats.

But note that there are different types of pigeons. Out in the countryside it's mostly woodpigeon. In urban areas you tend to get other types, like feral pigeons.
I would happily partake in a pigeon shooting session in a flat cap.
Original post by bluemadhatter
They are both disgusting, carry diseases and are basically rodents/parasites.

You mean that they're both scavengers, I think.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I would happily partake in a pigeon shooting session in a flat cap.

There are two wood pigeons that come in our garden for food all the time. I think they are a couple. Would you be a widow maker?
I get why people find certain animals a problem if they get to pest like levels. But I really don't get why sooooo many take it so personally. They are just animals that doing what they do to survive, just like you. Then when you look at all the **** and destruction we create. The pigeons are in cities because they feed of our rubbish! But's that's ok. That's nature. The pigeons also provide food for stuff like Peregrines that are having their habitat destroyed by farming and other human interference in the countryside. Pairs of these falcons now nest and rear their young in cities as well as out in the sticks. It's biodiversity, other animals exist as well as humans, get over yourselves.

It's a bit pathetic people get so wound up by certain animals.
(edited 8 years ago)
[video="youtube;bbXR43hMSV8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbXR43hMSV8[/video]
[video="youtube;PBGcET2AIwM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBGcET2AIwM[/video]
Original post by Sir Candour
[video="youtube;PBGcET2AIwM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBGcET2AIwM[/video]

I just learnt a lot :redface:
That doesn't make them a parasite. A tapeworm is a parasite, it needs its host to survive and in causes harm to its host, a pigeon doesn't have a host, it is able to feed itself and it doesn't cause harm to anything, they may be a nuisance but they dn't hurt anyone it is NOT a parasite. It maybe be considered a "pest" but it is NOT a parasite!

We're getting at semantics really aren't we?
I'm glad I'm not the only one to think that pigeons are 'flying rats'...
No, thy're not
Bats are not in the order of Rodentia, they are in the order Chiroptera.

I hate it when people are ignorant to biology...

I think you missed my point.
The oldest species of known bat is 52 million years old whereas the oldest known mammals that look like modern day rodents are over 200 million years old, which is multituberculates.

Catopsbaatar is not in the order of Rodentia, they are in the order of multituberculates.

However most biologists would agree that rats, squirrels and bats probably evolved from a species very similar to Catopsbaatar, if not Catopsbaatar themselves.

I wasn't saying that modern day rats evolved into bats. I was saying that a previously extinct species of mammal that look very similar to modern day rodents probably evolved into bats because every amateur biologist knows that some of the earliest non-avian land mammals looked very similar to modern day rodents.

Spoiler

Original post by lllllllllll
I think you missed my point.
The oldest species of known bat is 52 million years old whereas the oldest known mammals that look like modern day rodents are over 200 million years old, which is multituberculates.

Catopsbaatar is not in the order of Rodentia, they are in the order of multituberculates.

However most biologists would agree that rats, squirrels and bats probably evolved from a species very similar to Catopsbaatar, if not Catopsbaatar themselves.

I wasn't saying that modern day rats evolved into bats. I was saying that a previously extinct species of mammal that look very similar to modern day rodents probably evolved into bats because every amateur biologist knows that some of the earliest non-avian land mammals looked very similar to modern day rodents.

Spoiler

I know that. Nonetheless bats are NOT rats with wings!

Quick Reply

Latest