The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL cs

I'm a student who completed three A-Levels in IT, Philosophy and Economics at A*BB. Since I want to study computer science at university, I have enrolled at a college to study A-Level Maths in one year. Would I stand a chance of receiving an offer for UCL computer science (A*AA) if i'm predicted an A in A-Level Maths ?
Well probably not since you don't have the entry requirements. Also, UCL will probably want you to take another subject as IT is considered a soft subject along with Philosophy.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by Roarmaster
Well probably not since you don't have the entry requirements. Also, UCL will probably want you to take another subject as IT is considered a soft subject along with Philosophy.
A*ABB would be equivalent to A*AA and OP passes the 4th AS requirement too since, in the end, they would have 4 A2-Level subjects.

Also if you look at UCL's entry requirements you must do at least 2 facilitating A-Level subjects. Philosophy is considered facilitating and so is Economics, and Maths when OP does it. Only 2 out of the 3, in this case 4, have to be facilitating. So it'll be fine if his 4th subject is ICT. The issue is whether spending an extra 2 years to do Maths A-Level rather than alongside your other 3 would jeopardise your application. UCL's response looking at previous threads and their website is that yes your application would be considered, but you'd be disadvantaged for doing an extra 2 years.

If I'm honest, it'd be better to go to a university that doesn't require Maths for CS than spend another 2 years. There are many very good universities out there that don't require Maths. Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle, Kings just to name a few. Alternatively, many good universities like Durham offer Foundation Years, which would be better since it's only a year. If you really want to do A-Level Maths, maybe consider doing the entire A-Level in 1 year rather than 2.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Roarmaster
IT perhaps, but I wouldn't say the same about philosophy since it's on Cambridge's list of facilitating subjects (http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/admissions/ug/apply/a-level-combinations) and it's also on UCL's list.

Original post by yellowcopter
A*ABB would be equivalent to A*AA and OP passes the 4th AS requirement too since, in the end, they would have 4 A2-Level subjects.

That's what I was thinking. I guess I'll have to email UCL to be sure.

The issue is whether spending an extra 2 years to do Maths A-Level rather than alongside your other 3 would jeopardise your application. UCL's response looking at previous threads and their website is that yes your application would be considered, but you'd be disadvantaged for doing an extra 2 years.

The place I'm doing A-Level Maths at does the whole course in one year. The reason why I'm not too fond of applying for a foundation year is because it's an extra £9000 + yearly accommodation fees added on to the student loan.

If I'm honest, it'd be better to go to a university that doesn't require Maths for CS than spend another 2 years. There are many very good universities out there that don't require Maths. Leeds, Birmingham, Newcastle, Kings just to name a few.

I'm going to apply to some of those universities as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, you are right, my mistake. After looking at your situation more carefully I think you have a decent chance. I just asked my friend who is in 1st year with me at UCL (he does CompSci) if Philosophy would be useful and he said yes!
Since you're doing the A2 in one year I'd say you stand a pretty good chance then, good luck :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending