The Student Room Group

Exams or Coursework?

Scroll to see replies

I didn't do much coursework in school so wouldn't really know what it is like but from what I understand coursework is less pressure and I would find them better than exams because of that.

In school we mostly had 'controlled assessments' which were better because they were done entirely in school time and we went on trips before doing them and also got good help. For one of the assessments in geography we had 4 hours or so to fill one in.

But unfortunately, I signed up for my courses in college again today (I am 18 and redoing GCSEs... Even though I don't need to) and I've heard those 4-5 courses I signed up for are mostly exam based.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Objectively speaking i think coursework is a much better refection of your actual abilities. Not even necessarily coursework that you do at home but i feel that tests taken in class and thinfs like that should come into your final grade... its just too easy to mess up your grade just because of having a bad day or nerves or whatever. Not to mention the fact that these days examiners try to catch people out by makimg things awkward, that shouldnt happen. Im nit saying make it easy but try not to make it awkward for people who really do know what youre doing.
Obviously coursework, you get guidance and can improve to get a higher grade.
Coursework, for sure.
I like compiling research from several sources and taking time to develop my arguments.
In exams, I feel like I'm just brain-dumping any little thing I can remember and rushing my essay.
I'm surprised it's more or less an even split. Exams for me but this is from the standpoint of someone who's completely disorganised and who gets a rush from the pressure of last minute revision and a time limit. I just love that feeling of firing on all cylinders.
Reply 45
I think coursework is more valuable in the long run, although it was really tiring and stressful keeping up with deadlines I remember so much information from all the essays and presentations I did and hardly anything from the exam stuff. I also don't think exams show the persons true ability when they are completely rushing it; with coursework you can take your time and research your information and develop your thoughts and opinions thoroughly, quite often if my mind was blank or just tired, I would suddenly come up with new stuff days after for coursework that I could include whereas I would have been stuffed in an exam. Also, if your teacher is efficient they give you really useful pointers on how to improve before the deadline. Plus with exams (and also in the job world), stress/adrenaline will either help you or hinder you I guess so it's down to the individual
I'm quite a perfectionist so I prefer that in cw you can work and rework at something till its really good. When I read back my old drafts it gets better and better each time. Lastly I like the idea that you can choose your own question and put all your knowledge into whereas with exams you have to just hope for the best and end up not putting in half the stuff you revised for.

Quick Reply

Latest