Frying with olive oil And healthy eating

Watch
Brownclown
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I read on the internet that when you fry with olive oil, the chemical structure of the fats contained within the oil do not change. This is because they need temperatures above 210C to change, and most frying occurs around the 180C mark.

So does this mean shallow frying and pan frying things like chicken breasts and fish would still be considered healthy?

Also coconut oil vs olive oil - which would you choose?
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
It doesn't matter what you choose in reality, they're tasty and contain calories. It's perfectly healthy to do if you don't use too much oil and you're keeping track of your calories.

If you're trying to lose weight, buying a non stick pan and not using oil is an easy way to cut a hundred or so calories (obviously depends how much oil you use)
Brownclown
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by Angry cucumber;[url="tel:58981171")
58981171[/url]]It doesn't matter what you choose in reality, they're tasty and contain calories. It's perfectly healthy to do if you don't use too much oil and you're keeping track of your calories.

If you're trying to lose weight, buying a non stick pan and not using oil is an easy way to cut a hundred or so calories (obviously depends how much oil you use)
Thanks for the reply Mr cucumber 😄

Also because I'm brown (who'd have thought?) my family makes a lot of curry. We make everything from scratch - no curry paste from a jar, nothing artificial, no cream, no butter and no extra salt.

All the ingredients are is literally: onion, garlic and ginger, tomatoes, Indian spices, chicken/lamb/vegetable. Problem is the onions are fried in olive oil - I think for a very big pot of curry which feeds about 6-8 people, we use 5 tablespoons of oil. Obviously that increases the calories and amount of fat

Does that sound reasonable healthy to you or should I cut curry out completely?

I can manipulate my macros enough so that I can accommodate the odd portion of curry without going over my calorie target.

Per portion of chicken curry I worked out with my fitness pal I would be getting around 60g of protein
Angry cucumber
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For 6-8 people that amount of oil isn't that bad. That curry sounds fine tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
CinnamonTan
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Personally I'd choose coconut oil, it may be higher in price but it's a GOOD fat which in turn is healthier for you.
It also gives your food extra flavouring which is a bonus!

Here's a great article on fats.

http://www.healthline.com/health/hea...-vs-bad-fats#2

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (20)
14.49%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.8%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
5.07%
I need help with my personal statement (55)
39.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (35)
25.36%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.17%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
7.25%

Watched Threads