The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Advice on Overlapping Modules Please!

Hi!

I'm starting my first 60 credit OU module in February 2016. However, the next module I plan to take only has one start date a year, meaning that it would start in October 2016. I am a little confused about the overlap between the modules, especially regarding fees and funding.

I studied at the University of Warwick for two years but it wasn't a good time for me personally and regretfully I had to come home. I had a loan from Student Finance England for the two years.

Now, as I understand it, there is a formula when reapplying for SFE loans after dropping out:
((years of new course+1) - years studied). For me, this is (4+1) -2 = 3
This means that I can apply for an SFE loan for 3 of my 4 years' study (please correct me if I'm wrong), and have to fund the first year myself. I intend to play through the OUSBA in monthly installments to fund my first year.

Here's my question: If I begin my course in February 2016 and fund this first module myself, will I be eligible to apply for SFE funding for my second module start in October 2016? I am concerned that the February start may preclude me from being eligible for a loan later in 2016, even though technically it will be a new academic year. Is a module beginning in February 2016 part of the 2015-16 academic year, or part of the 2016-17 year?

If this makes sense to anyone, and it is quite possible that it doesn't as I'm confusing myself at this stage, any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I am going to speak to an OU adviser about all of my concerns after the bank holiday, but I want to check with people here first, as you seem a knowledgable bunch!
Original post by racheypie666
Hi!

I'm starting my first 60 credit OU module in February 2016. However, the next module I plan to take only has one start date a year, meaning that it would start in October 2016. I am a little confused about the overlap between the modules, especially regarding fees and funding.

I studied at the University of Warwick for two years but it wasn't a good time for me personally and regretfully I had to come home. I had a loan from Student Finance England for the two years.

Now, as I understand it, there is a formula when reapplying for SFE loans after dropping out:
((years of new course+1) - years studied). For me, this is (4+1) -2 = 3
This means that I can apply for an SFE loan for 3 of my 4 years' study (please correct me if I'm wrong), and have to fund the first year myself. I intend to play through the OUSBA in monthly installments to fund my first year.

Here's my question: If I begin my course in February 2016 and fund this first module myself, will I be eligible to apply for SFE funding for my second module start in October 2016? I am concerned that the February start may preclude me from being eligible for a loan later in 2016, even though technically it will be a new academic year. Is a module beginning in February 2016 part of the 2015-16 academic year, or part of the 2016-17 year?

If this makes sense to anyone, and it is quite possible that it doesn't as I'm confusing myself at this stage, any help would be greatly appreciated.

PS: I am going to speak to an OU adviser about all of my concerns after the bank holiday, but I want to check with people here first, as you seem a knowledgable bunch!

Some more questions, what are you studying? Are you planning on studying full time?

You're using the wrong calculation. For part time students it's 12 years + 2 = 14 years - time already spent in HE, as it allows for people to study at 25% rate and have a couple of missed years for whatever reason.

You should still get full funding for all of your modules as long as you don't hold an equivalent qualification from Warwick. I would apply to SFE and wait for all of that to come through, the OU are fairly useless when it comes to SFE funding and guidance. So you shouldn't need to worry about funding any of it from your own pocket, assuming (as I've already mentioned) you aren't re-doing a qualification you already hold. Though obviously as with all OU courses it's only the tuition SFE will cover, no maintenance anymore.

The module in February will overlap two academic years because it will start in the '15-'16 academic year and not end until October of the '16-'17 academic year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by SuperCat007
Some more questions, what are you studying? Are you planning on studying full time?

You're using the wrong calculation. For part time students it's 12 years + 2 = 14 years - time already spent in HE, as it allows for people to study at 25% rate and have a couple of missed years for whatever reason.

You should still get full funding for all of your modules as long as you don't hold an equivalent qualification from Warwick. I would apply to SFE and wait for all of that to come through, the OU are fairly useless when it comes to SFE funding and guidance. So you shouldn't need to worry about funding any of it from your own pocket, assuming (as I've already mentioned) you aren't re-doing a qualification you already hold. Though obviously as with all OU courses it's only the tuition SFE will cover, no maintenance anymore.

The module in February will overlap two academic years because it will start in the '15-'16 academic year and not end until October of the '16-'17 academic year.

Thank you so much, that's really useful!

I was planning on studying part time for 2 years (60 credits per year) and full time for 2 years (120 credits per year) to get my degree in 4 years total. I'm not sure how this would fit in with the formulae they use; it's a mixture of part and full time study so I guess I'll have to check.

I don't think I have an equivalent qualification from Warwick. I studied English and Creative Writing for 2 years (I did the first year and then tried to redo it), whereas I want to do an open degree with the OU, focusing 180 credits on English Literature and 180 on German language. I'm certainly not planning on applying for a credit transfer, because I want to start afresh.

I thought that the February start date might mean I went in to 2 academic years! Damn it! I imagine this will affect fees and funding for both years then. I think it might be too late to apply for SFE funding for an October 2015 start date; I will try though, because if you're right and I can get a tuition fee loan right from the outset, there's no reason I can't start sooner than February 2016.

Thanks again so much for your help! Have a lovely bank holiday!
Thank you so much, that's really useful!

I was planning on studying part time for 2 years (60 credits per year) and full time for 2 years (120 credits per year) to get my degree in 4 years total. I'm not sure how this would fit in with the formulae they use; it's a mixture of part and full time study so I guess I'll have to check.

I don't think I have an equivalent qualification from Warwick. I studied English and Creative Writing for 2 years (I did the first year and then tried to redo it), whereas I want to do an open degree with the OU, focusing 180 credits on English Literature and 180 on German language. I'm certainly not planning on applying for a credit transfer, because I want to start afresh.

I thought that the February start date might mean I went in to 2 academic years! Damn it! I imagine this will affect fees and funding for both years then. I think it might be too late to apply for SFE funding for an October 2015 start date; I will try though, because if you're right and I can get a tuition fee loan right from the outset, there's no reason I can't start sooner than February 2016.

Thanks again so much for your help! Have a lovely bank holiday!

It is all part time funding with the OU no matter the rate you study. So you will always apply through the part time section of the site. Just apply, it can't hurt though it may be a push to get it all through for when you start. The OU deadline is 10th September.
Reply 4
Original post by SuperCat007
It is all part time funding with the OU no matter the rate you study. So you will always apply through the part time section of the site. Just apply, it can't hurt though it may be a push to get it all through for when you start. The OU deadline is 10th September.

Thanks, I applied for SFE funding this morning; like you said, it can't hurt! I know they're unlikely to get back to me very quickly, but fingers crossed I'll hear back fairly soon.

Quick question; if I am accepted on the OU course but my funding is late coming through, can I just start as soon as SFE have processed it? I know I wouldn't be able to start studying without having paid the OU first; do they allow a slight overlap? It would mean I would have to study harder to catch up, but it's worth it if I can start before February!
Thanks, I applied for SFE funding this morning; like you said, it can't hurt! I know they're unlikely to get back to me very quickly, but fingers crossed I'll hear back fairly soon.

Quick question; if I am accepted on the OU course but my funding is late coming through, can I just start as soon as SFE have processed it? I know I wouldn't be able to start studying without having paid the OU first; do they allow a slight overlap? It would mean I would have to study harder to catch up, but it's worth it if I can start before February!

I don't know, you would have to ask the OU that. I know they send off to SFE 2 weeks into the course to say that you're enrolled and started, so it isn't a case of them not sending the materials until you have the funding in place. If you don't I assume they'll ask you for an alternative payment. Give them a call tomorrow to be sure about that one.

Quick Reply

Latest