AS/A Level Fine Art and Textiles or BTEC Art and Design?

Watch
Sarah_1708
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello, I'm starting Sixth Form next week and I'm having doubts as to whether I've picked the right A Levels or not. I've enrolled to take Maths, Geography, Fine Art and Textiles however the some staff at sixth form advised me that doing a BTEC course would suit me better going by my GCSE results as I got 2 B's 7 C's and 3 D's. I got a B in Maths, C in Art, C in Geography but I did not take Textiles at GCSE. I love Art and being creative however at the beginning of Year 11 I found the workload was getting quite a lot for me and fell behind a bit. After I realised this, I became more motivated and worked a lot harder in Art and with a lot of help from my amazing Art teacher I started to get back on track and gradually catch up. I've read a lot of people's experiences who have done A Level Fine Art and Textiles and they've mostly all said the work load is a lot more than GCSE so my thoughts are that if I do BTEC Art and Design I might be able to keep on track better without falling behind and get a better grade however I'm unsure if universities take BTEC Art and Design. Can anyone give me any advice on what to do please, shall I stick with the two separate A Levels or do the BTEC? Thank you.
charlottemears
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The A-levels sound like a great selection as they are broad (open to more opportunities).

Have you considered an apprenticeship?

What I would say is, are you interested in academics or are you a person who is more hands on with working?

A levels : take 2 years and are what universities look at mostly when considering an applicant. However, majority of students will say that they are the hardest exams you will ever take (because its alot of work and exams condensed in a short space of time). I took A level art and would say that if you're good with your time management, something very useful whilst at university, then you can succeed.

BTEC : I don't know much information about this but I have completed an Art and Design Foundation Degree and I will say that they are great for fully immersing yourself in a subject, if its something you really want to do.

However, I have to now study an Engineering foundation because I never did maths for A level and got stuck with the arts!
I feel that you should research both and look at the pros and cons first, putting your action on what instinctively feels more 'you'. Check out employability and what careers you are open to with both your choices.

I have friends that did BTEC art and design and have gone on to do fashion, 3D etc so it was perfect.

It looks like you are split between Art and Maths and I understand it is difficult. I was in this situation not long ago but I am glad I took A levels as they have given me the opportunity to study Industrial Design Engineering later on down the line.

Dont be afraid to send me a message if you need any advice!
Sarah_1708
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you! I have took other options into consideration such as apprenticeships etc and I've decided A Levels are going to be best for me as I'm still undecided in which career path I want to take and A Levels will give me more opportunities so I'm just going stick with the A Levels and see how I get on and if I find I'm not doing too good I'll switch to the BTEC Art and Design. Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise