The Student Room Group

Further Maths A Level

I am going to be retaking a few units in further maths whilst at university and wanted to know- is it possible to get a higher grade in further maths than in maths a level? I got an A in maths,but just missed the 90% in c3 and c4, so can't get the A*, but if I were to get the 90% I need in the F maths modules, is it still possible to get the A*? ( btw it's OCR non-mei if that helps)
Reply 1
Original post by dd1234
I am going to be retaking a few units in further maths whilst at university and wanted to know- is it possible to get a higher grade in further maths than in maths a level? I got an A in maths,but just missed the 90% in c3 and c4, so can't get the A*, but if I were to get the 90% I need in the F maths modules, is it still possible to get the A*? ( btw it's OCR non-mei if that helps)

Bearing in mind they're classed as separate A-Levels I'd assume so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by dd1234

Yes it's possible.

People do get a higher grade in Further Maths than Maths but it's pretty rare.
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
Yes it's possible.

People do get a higher grade in Further Maths than Maths but it's pretty rare.

Thanks- and if I were to just take the AS further maths again- would there be any way of it replacing the full Alevel grade?
Reply 4
Original post by dd1234
Thanks- and if I were to just take the AS further maths again- would there be any way of it replacing the full Alevel grade?

Why would you even want to if you are at university? Once you're doing a degree, that should take priority and your A level grades will be irrelevant :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by davros
Why would you even want to if you are at university? Once you're doing a degree, that should take priority and your A level grades will be irrelevant :smile:

I did think that, but I want to go into IB and I'm not sure, but I think they look at all four a levels :/
Reply 6
Original post by dd1234
I did think that, but I want to go into IB and I'm not sure, but I think they look at all four a levels :/

I'm not aware that "four A levels" is a requirement for ANY job :confused: What happens to people who've only done 3 A levels - do they have to take a 4th one while they're at uni to remain competitive? What about people who took A levels before the A* was invented - do they have to retake all their A levels to get A*s in the current version of the exams so their CVs don't get thrown away? :biggrin:

Seriously, in your position I wouldn't do anything that would jeopardize my uni work, and if I did find myself with 'spare time' I'd be looking at taking up other activities to enhance my employability, not spending time retaking school exams.
Reply 7
Original post by davros
What about people who took A levels before the A* was invented - do they have to retake all their A levels to get A*s in the current version of the exams so their CVs don't get thrown away? :biggrin:

I did actually have to explain once to an interviewer that my A would've been an A* if I took the exam now.

There's no neat way to write, "My A is really an A" on a CV :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by davros
I'm not aware that "four A levels" is a requirement for ANY job :confused: What happens to people who've only done 3 A levels - do they have to take a 4th one while they're at uni to remain competitive? What about people who took A levels before the A* was invented - do they have to retake all their A levels to get A*s in the current version of the exams so their CVs don't get thrown away? :biggrin:

Seriously, in your position I wouldn't do anything that would jeopardize my uni work, and if I did find myself with 'spare time' I'd be looking at taking up other activities to enhance my employability, not spending time retaking school exams.

Yeah, I really don't want to jeopardize my uni work but the grade is really low, especially against the others- I mean if I could just not include it in the application that would be great, but if the employers see it, even if they don't officially regard it, I am worried it would put them off my application ...
Reply 9
Original post by notnek
I did actually have to explain once to an interviewer that my A would've been an A* if I took the exam now.

There's no neat way to write, "My A is really an A" on a CV :smile:

Well my A levels were linear (pre-modular) so I have even more difficulties!

Just wait till the new GCSE grades kick in and no-one knows whether a 1 or a 9 is good or bad and how they compare to A*-G. And people of my age took CSEs (alongside O levels) where 1 was the top grade and 5 the bottom :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest