Suddenly gone off vodka

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've always really liked vodka, but one night about three weeks ago I had what I will readily admit was far too many shots in a short period of time which made me throw up, the first time I've ever been sick through drinking.

Although I'm not even more aware of my limits in this regard, since that day I've almost completely gone off vodka - just the smell of it or the sight of my shot glasses brings up a gagging feeling and simply one shot makes me feel very iffy indeed. This is also affecting my enjoyment of cocktails and drinks which include vodka, much to my dismay.

Whilst I understand the reasons, is this something which would ease over time, or something I can help along?
username1221160
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It is your body telling you that you should stop drinking that horrible crap. It is not good for you. Turn to whisky, a far superior drink.
It's****ingWOODY
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can't stand the taste of Vodka myself either. On the plus side though, it does taste a lot like I'm not going into work tomorrow
The Good Doctor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The same thing happened to me with absinthe (the 89.9% vol stuff).

Recently though I managed to take a shot without choking on it. Time is a healer in this regard lol.
Anonymous #1
Yeah, hopefully it's just a matter of time XD

It's just annoying how my enjoyment of it has been ruined by one mistake which I now know not to repeat.
Error404OLE
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't know how you could enjoy drinking
elliemayxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've always really liked vodka, but one night about three weeks ago I had what I will readily admit was far too many shots in a short period of time which made me throw up, the first time I've ever been sick through drinking.

Although I'm not even more aware of my limits in this regard, since that day I've almost completely gone off vodka - just the smell of it or the sight of my shot glasses brings up a gagging feeling and simply one shot makes me feel very iffy indeed. This is also affecting my enjoyment of cocktails and drinks which include vodka, much to my dismay.

Whilst I understand the reasons, is this something which would ease over time, or something I can help along?
I despise the taste of any alcohol, If I ever drink then it's simply to get drunk. Never because I enjoy it. I found that as I got older I stopped being able to handle my drink well, maybe that's the same with you all of a sudden!
aamirac
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Error404OLE)
same here, like why put oneself through all of that... especially the hangovers?
Profesh
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Error404OLE)
Assuming you mean 'you' in the second-person, that's rather a fatuous statement. On the other hand: vodka is utterly revolting.
Anonymous #1
Perhaps, then, I've just grown out of vodka onto more sophisticated things:happy2:

Very... uh, suddenly.

But yeah, I'm usually very good with handling drink and hangovers. I was just rather caught off-guard this instance - a bit of a wake-up call, perhaps.
Danno190
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Being fairly flavour-less, it's hard to tell how much vodka you've imbibed, especially when taken with mixers such as cola or juice. That's why I prefer scotch or gin because of the taste of them, they make anything they're mixed with taste slightly stronger and can be enjoyed better than vodka can when sipped at over a length of time.
heyhey55
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surely these sick feelings are a blessing dude, it's probably for the best
Lostiee
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
lol the exact same thing happened to me and couldn't drink it for months due to just one bad night cos the smell and taste made me gag, over time I can drink more of it if mixed with a lot of coke or lemonade to the point where i can almost not even taste it but tbh I don't think i'll ever be that into it again not like shots or anything but as long as I mix it it's fine and might be for you too, otherwise I suppose you can try get into other drinks if you want to carry on drinking at all
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest I've never understood how anyone could go on vodka.
Alba2013
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Vodka is horrid. Dark rum is far nicer.

Congrats on going off that crap.
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I'm the same with sambuca. But vodka is my go to, mix it with cranberry or something
Tom78
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aamirac)
same here, like why put oneself through all of that... especially the hangovers?
Only when you drink to excess.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Vodka is horrid and what's worse is that people drink the low quality stuff too. If you must pollute your body with Vodka then it must be Russian Standard.

Better yet, stop drinking it. Drink Disorano, dark rum or Scotch (must be aged and malt).
cole-slaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Same happened to me with tequila. Just drink something else.
IanDangerously
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Drinking too many shots of anything in a short period of time will make you throw up, its not the drink itself it's the speed at which it's absorbed into your body. The fact that neat vodka tastes like paint stripper doesn't help keep it down either.

If you've gone off it in cocktails and mixers then that's a psychological issue stemming from the fact you had a bad experience being irresponsible with shots. Make sure you use a premium vodka, not any of this cheap non-branded nonsense, and use it in a sweet cocktail or with a premium cola. Long drinks are fine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (245)
60.49%
No (83)
20.49%
Not sure (77)
19.01%

Watched Threads