Metropolis
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Posting for my cousin in France who is looking to start undergraduate degree. Unfortunately her family moved country out of the EU and recently had to move back leaving her without a university this year.

So two options are - applying for university in France, or applying through clearing for a University in the UK.

Just wondering does France have a clearing method like UK's UCAS? (France deadline was in Jan). Been trying to search but everywhere I find keeps assuming I am looking to travel from England to study there.

Thanks guys.
Ephilas
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
France's equivalent of Clearing was available after the results of the French Bac came out, which was the 7th of July - but only for the universities, not for the Grandes Ecoles or the Classes Preparatoires as they are very selective. I think that APB (Admissions Post Bac, the UCAS equivalent) won't be of any use because term has actually already started at universities.

The best thing if your cousin really wants to study in France might be to ring one up and ask if she could join - but if I'm honest it may be better trying to apply to an English uni through Clearing, as then she wouldn't miss any of the course content.

Can I ask what qualifications she has?
Metropolis
Rep:
?
Thanks for the response! Gives me an idea of where to go from here.
(Original post by Ephilas)
Can I ask what qualifications she has?
Not really sure how the system works but she has Mention très bien: "overall mark of 16 or above"
Baccalauréat général - série Littéraire

I don't know the individual results but I can find out soon.
Ephilas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Metropolis)
Thanks for the response! Gives me an idea of where to go from here.

Not really sure how the system works but she has Mention très bien: "overall mark of 16 or above"
Baccalauréat général - série Littéraire

I don't know the individual results but I can find out soon.
Wow, that's a really good mark, especially for L!
She'd probably be able to get onto whatever course she likes in the UK as often the highest required grade is a 15 - and she's technically guaranteed a place at French uni as she only needs a pass (10).

No problem, I'm glad to have been a help
Metropolis
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ephilas)
Wow, that's a really good mark, especially for L!
She'd probably be able to get onto whatever course she likes in the UK as often the highest required grade is a 15 - and she's technically guaranteed a place at French uni as she only needs a pass (10).

No problem, I'm glad to have been a help
Thanks! Yeah i've just been looking into it and seems to be a good mark (like AAAA). It might even be worth waiting until next year with those grades and hand pick what university she wants in England or France

Thanks again for the quick response, i'll add you to my friends list! :crown:
Ephilas
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks! Yeah i've just been looking into it and seems to be a good mark (like AAAA). It might even be worth waiting until next year with those grades and hand pick what university she wants in England or France
That's probably the better option if she wants to go on a fairly competitive course, as they'll have time to realise how good her marks are

Thanks again for the quick response, i'll add you to my friends list! :crown:
:borat:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (229)
60.9%
No (78)
20.74%
Not sure (69)
18.35%

Watched Threads