Hi!

Can anyone recommend any good films to study for A2 WJEC French? Hoping for A*

Thanks!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Tank Girl)
x
Tank Girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bonjour! I've moved this to the foreign languages forum now- you should get more replies here

Also, I'd recommend Amelie to watch, but that's because it is the only French film I can think of!
Vintagey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd say watch stuff with actors who are currently aged 60+. It seems they speak a lot more clearly than younger actors nowadays (though you could check Marion Cotillard and Audrey Tautou). Besides, I've stumbled upon quite a few recent films which use non-professional actors for every other part but the leading, and they've got no experience whatsoever regarding clear pronunciation etc. Choose something from the filmographies of Catherine Deneuve, Fanny Ardant and Isabelle Huppert. I wouldn't recommend Gérard Depardieu, he's very hard to understand at times. Also, if you're interested in classical movies, watch films from the beginning of the history of French cinema meaning look for movies made before the 60's. If you're into the history of France, for instance, make sure to check "Si Versailles m'était conté" (1954). It focuses on the history of the palace of Versailles and stars 150 people, the leads played by the top best classical French actors of the time. Anyway, I don't think you could find a particular movie, that is, if it's not a documentary or aimed at language-learners, that's suitable for a specific level. You practice your listening skills with whatever you can possibly find. Speaking of documentaries, search for history channels on Youtube, I've subscribed for about 6-7 of them.
pizzanomics
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I can't help that much, but I know that my girlfriend did La Haine and enjoyed it, as well as found it easy to talk about in her expose linking to things such as the Charlie Hebdo attacks etc.

She did A2 WJEC French this year but I can't remember what grade she got.. I think it was an A or a B, probably an A.
pseudonymegg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
La Bete Humaine - adjusted from Zola's novel - quite old but very political and social messages which would be good/ easy to comment on
Un Héro tres Discret- film set around WW2 and La Resistance - again similar political and social messages
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lreejigfredks)
Hi!

Can anyone recommend any good films to study for A2 WJEC French? Hoping for A*

Thanks!
Les Choristes - education, boarding school, troubled adolescence
Intouchabes - racism, social insertion, how society views handicapped people
Au revoir les enfants - Second World War in France
Entre les murs - Modern education, racism as a sub-theme
Les 400 coups - education in the 50s, black-and-white classic film
Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources - film adapations of Marcel Pagnol novels by the same names; brilliant stuff
Mon père ce héros - light comedy: divorce, father/daughter relationships
Ensemble, c'est tout - old age, friendship - a heartwarming "feel good" film that's not over-sentimental
Monsieur Ibrahim et les fleurs du Coran - lslam, Judaism, relationships
Lau0711
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just did A2 French (2015) and was with WJEC. People in my class did La Haine, Les Choristes or Intouchable. I did the role of humour in Intouchable. It's an excellent, feel good film! I bought it to watch to help write my speaking exam and still watch it now! My dad loves it too and he doesn't even speak a word of French!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (4)
11.11%
Disagree (3)
8.33%
Neither agree or disagree (10)
27.78%
Agree (11)
30.56%
Strongly Agree (8)
22.22%

Watched Threads