The Student Room Group

how to get over someone

ok long story short: i had a thing with a guy in secondary school and it broke apart. now, secondary school was like 2 or 3 years ago and i haven't seen him since. he even has a girlfriend now and everything.

i literally have got over him but my brain hasn't! i still have dreams about him and that's stupid. i have tried liking other guys since but it isn't the same :'(

how do i get over him? have you been in the same issue as me? how did u deal with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

watch your favourite TV show
do some study
Or any other hobby
Reply 2
It takes time. But the best bet is to put that energy in to finding new love. The past is for reference not for residence. It comes if you go after it..
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
It takes time. But the best bet is to put that energy in to finding new love. The past is for reference not for residence. It comes if you go after it..

I've tried doing this and it really does work. I did get over him. But my dreams show him a lot and I can't control that :frown: plus my friends always talk about him so I end up thinking about him more than I want to

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Cry in a corner until you can't feel any emotion any more
Reply 5
Original post by Alexion
Cry in a corner until you can't feel any emotion any more

done that too many times :lol:
cry with me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
You simply can't just 'get over' someone. If it was that easy, there wouldn't be so many heart breaks all the time. The only thing that helps (I say 'help' not 'fixes' - mind that!) is talking to someone new . I know you said that you've tried it but keep on trying as that is all you can do. It can take a lot of time (took me 1 and a half year lol!) but eventually you'll realize that it's just one of those 'not to be meant things' . Life's too short to upset yourself over someone who doesn't gives a damn about you :smile: You'll be fine eventually...just like the rest of us.
Reply 7
How much do you know him in the end? Do you know all his flaws?

A bit of reality check can help in this situation.
Reply 8
Original post by Noara
You simply can't just 'get over' someone. If it was that easy, there wouldn't be so many heart breaks all the time. The only thing that helps (I say 'help' not 'fixes' - mind that!) is talking to someone new . I know you said that you've tried it but keep on trying as that is all you can do. It can take a lot of time (took me 1 and a half year lol!) but eventually you'll realize that it's just one of those 'not to be meant things' . Life's too short to upset yourself over someone who doesn't gives a damn about you :smile: You'll be fine eventually...just like the rest of us.

you're right, thank you so much. i guess i should try talking to new people lol it's just that in my mind i'm temporarily liking someone but in the long term i always think about "him" which is stupid of me.

thanks once again, i don't know how on earth people deal with this stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by diamondluck
you're right, thank you so much. i guess i should try talking to new people lol it's just that in my mind i'm temporarily liking someone but in the long term i always think about "him" which is stupid of me.

thanks once again, i don't know how on earth people deal with this stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not stupid. It's in the human nature :smile:
And anytime :smile:
Reply 10
get under someone else
Reply 11
Original post by jido
How much do you know him in the end? Do you know all his flaws?

A bit of reality check can help in this situation.

This has to be a joke. When you really like someone all the flaws vanish into thin air lol. There is no 'reality check' when it comes to love, unfortunately.
Roll up a fat doobie, turn on ITV2 for jeremy kyle. Then tell me your lifes ****ed.
Reply 13
Original post by Noara
This has to be a joke. When you really like someone all the flaws vanish into thin air lol. There is no 'reality check' when it comes to love, unfortunately.

It's not a joke. Don't believe me if you don't want to.
Reply 14
Original post by jido
It's not a joke. Don't believe me if you don't want to.

Oh really? Have you ever seen some one go like "OMG, I'm so in love with that one person but....hold on...he's neurotic so BLAH, nevermind" ?
Reply 15
Original post by Noara
Oh really? Have you ever seen some one go like "OMG, I'm so in love with that one person but....hold on...he's neurotic so BLAH, nevermind" ?

You are assuming the person wants to be in a relationship, in the present case she wants to end it.
Reply 16
Original post by jido
You are assuming the person wants to be in a relationship, in the present case she wants to end it.

Doesn't really matters what the person is trying to do. If he/she is in love, no flaw matters :smile:
thread closed. a good friend helped me out in this situation... i only miss him because he provided love to me, maybe i don't actually love him but i love being in love. lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by diamondluck
thread closed. a good friend helped me out in this situation... i only miss him because he provided love to me, maybe i don't actually love him but i love being in love. lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, that's very selfish of you, isn't it? I wonder how hard it was for him to get over you
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Well, that's very selfish of you, isn't it? I wonder how hard it was for him to get over you

LOL didn't you read my original post? he ditched me for another girl. and i didn't mean to be selfish, i have a lot of feelings for him to this day but it will get me no where since he has a stable girlfriend now and has moved on (well immediately after me he did so) so i need to get over it one way or other....don't blame me for trying to move on. maybe i don't miss him anymore, it's the fact that i miss being IN love if you understand me? that's what i was trying to say, maybe the word "love" in my previous post confused you since it does sound quite... wrong when i re-read it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending