The Student Room Group

On starting college

:s-smilie:my college starts next week, and i am scared to death because i am the only person from my school going there. i have no idea how to act in a college atmosphere, who to chill with, who to talk to, and what to do. i dont even know if we get our own books or if we have to buy them. what to do for lunch?? do i go out of college premises, or do i stay in? its scary and ive been constantly told, you will meet new people and make new friends, but now that its so close, i am frightened by the thought of leaving the safety of my comfort zone, and leaving all my friends.
what to do? :s-smilie:

ps. going to city and islington college , sixth form college
Original post by thephlox
:s-smilie:my college starts next week, and i am scared to death because i am the only person from my school going there. i have no idea how to act in a college atmosphere, who to chill with, who to talk to, and what to do. i dont even know if we get our own books or if we have to buy them. what to do for lunch?? do i go out of college premises, or do i stay in? its scary and ive been constantly told, you will meet new people and make new friends, but now that its so close, i am frightened by the thought of leaving the safety of my comfort zone, and leaving all my friends.
what to do? :s-smilie:

ps. going to city and islington college , sixth form college

I go to City and Islington and I was in the exact same position as you. I didn't really know anyone and for the first few days it was quite lonely. The trick is to be as chatty as possible - if you're standing next to someone in queue for the toilets or something, ask them what courses they're doing, etc. Chances are they'll be nervous too! You'll also be put in a tutor group which would be your first session and I remember everyone in my tutor was deadly silent. We were forced to chat amongst ourselves though and I made two really good friends from my tutor. The same goes with your lessons - just chat. Find common interests, ask what school they went to, what music they're into. Maybe ask if they want to tag along with you to get a sandwich at lunch. It'll be scary but the awkwardness and anxiety will wear off eventually!

Textbooks are generally supplied by the department, but you can buy your own/borrow from the library. You can go off college premises for lunch (I would - the cafeteria isn't too great :lol:) and about a two minute walk away is the centre of Angel, with McDonalds, Subway, Sainsbury's, etc. But I would personally eat in college for the first few weeks, as you'll make friends in the hall simply by asking if a seat is taken!

There's also quite a few societies and after school things. I made a lot of my friends by going to these :yep:. It's such a big and scary challenge going somewhere new, but you'll look back in a few months' time and wonder what on earth you were worrying about!
Reply 2
Bro, my college starts tomorrow!

Quick Reply

Latest