any help appreciated Watch

This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
hi
im doin a piece of sociology cw for my A2 on young peopels attitudes to sex and part of it will covering if the age of having sex is decreased. If anyone would like to comment it would be of great help.
thanxs
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
hiya, i'm the sure the age to have sex at is decreasing. do you not some facts and figures tho, rather than peoples opinions (maybe teenage sex rates etc.)
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
ive got stats but i need to examine teenagers actual opinions. dnt worry, ur answers r confidential lol
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Ok, first I'd like to point out I'm not study sociology but I would like to given a Rhondda Cynon Taff (Wales) point of view.

The Rhondda Cynon Taff has the worst teenage pregencey rate in Europe. Kids as younger as 13 have been known to be having sexual relationships and even having children.

Recentley, in year 11 (my year) at school, two girls had to leave school after discovering that were expecting. Both decided to keep their babies and this is common among girls who land themselves in this position. Not many choose abotions even though it will affected their eduction and ruin their lives.

The friends of the girls think this is a great thing and are always pleased to hear when other teenage girl is expecting.

If the age limit was to be lowered, it would make girls and younger girls in our area feel it is ok and have sex. Leading to more pregencies.

Also, this increase in sexual activity would increase the rate in which STIs are spread.

Hope this helps a bit.
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
To put an age on when you are mature enough for sex is something that I feel is wrong. I understand that we must not allow the nations youth to be having sexual relations at an age when they have no concept of the implications but I don't think that we can say that "when you are this-age it is OK to have sex". Therefore I feel that rather than decreasing the age of consent, we should concentrate on educating the youth of tommorow on the possible implications and facts involved in a sexual relationship of any description. I also feel that if the age of concent was decresed, it would serve as a signal to younger people that it is OK to be having sex at a younger age. I know that the age at which people engage in their first sexual relationship is decresing but that does not mean that we must change the law to fit the pattern.

Hope this helps (went on a bit of a rant but...)
emom100
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Firstly,if there was a decent sex education in this country then maybe the problem wouldn't be so bad. I still can't believe it when there are girls writing in to magazines asking if they can get pregnant while kissing or that some people think you can't get pregnant if you have sex in water etc. I don't know whether all these questions are made up by writers or not, but if they're true, they are a sad reflection on some people's education.

Secondly, and this is going to sound really bad but most of the people i know that have dropped out of school to have a baby didn't have any other ambitions in life such as uni etc. Obviously there are going to be loads of exceptions to this and accidents happen but with the people i know all they wanted for someone to give them unconditional love and to be a mum. It didn't matter to them whether they had a baby at 15 or at 30. .

it seems a bit pointless to have a legal age limit when the majority of people have had sex before it. If someone is emotionally ready for sex at any age why should they not be allowed to. However,if it was any lower or non existent, i think it you would regularly see 13 year olds shagging about. I reckon it also gives some protection to younger girls. If it was legal to haves sex with a 13 year old, can you imagine how bad the whole pheadophile situation would be. If there was no legal age limit for sex would it have been legal for the studabaker bloke to run off with that 12 year old and have sex with her?
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
I hate to say it, but the age at which girls get pregnant can sometimes be affected by their background. Pretty much all of the girls i've known to get pregnant before the age of consent have come from more deprived backgrounds. I don't see how this can be an excuse, or any reason. This is just observation of course, and there are always exceptions to the rule.
PHIL
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
That does seem to be the trend, but I, like you, am not sure why that is?

Phil
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (199)
12.7%
Excited (136)
8.68%
Worried (287)
18.32%
Terrified (355)
22.65%
Meh (136)
8.68%
Confused (35)
2.23%