The Student Room Group

What University?

Hey guys and girls!

Okay so basically after getting my AS results (AAAA in Physics, Maths, FM and Computing), I am choosing which universities to apply for. However this is a really hard decision and thus I've come to the professionals and experts on this matter.

So far, I have picked these universities:

CAMBRIDGE
IMPERIAL
UCL
SOUTHAMPTON
BRISTOL
MANCHESTER
BIRMNGHAM
KINGS
DURHAM
WARWICK

Okay so I've definitely decided to go with Cambridge and Imperial as I see that they are the best in CS but what about the other three?

I'm looking for a place preferably outside London which has good accommodation, friendly and fun for students. Also it has to be with the best. I heard that Birmingham isn't among the best however others say its good. So, can you guys please review the unis and tell me which ones the best?

Thanks!
I have heard that Durham and Warwick are very good universities
Reply 2
Durham, UCL, Warwick and Bristol would all be the next tier after Imperial on your list and then Manchester and Kings slightly below them, then Southampton and Birmingham another step down
You should consider Edinburgh (although I'm not being objective as I'm heading there this year), great course with plenty of choice and they're part of the new Alan Turing Institute with Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Warwick.
First of all thanks guys for the replies! At first I knew Durham, UCL, Warwick and Bristol were top as thats where all the smart guys from my school apply to but then I looked at League Tables and got confused. I wondered why Birmingham was ranked soo high?

Original post by DeadEnd_96
I have heard that Durham and Warwick are very good universities

Any points why their better than UCL or Bristol for Computer Science.

Original post by Flather
Durham, UCL, Warwick and Bristol would all be the next tier after Imperial on your list and then Manchester and Kings slightly below them, then Southampton and Birmingham another step down

Damn, nice explaining but any sources?

Original post by Frank the Tankk
You should consider Edinburgh (although I'm not being objective as I'm heading there this year), great course with plenty of choice and they're part of the new Alan Turing Institute with Oxford, Cambridge, UCL and Warwick.

YES. I was considering Edinburgh but then I was like Scotland? Like Scotland? Is it fun there? Is a Scottish Uni different from a British one? It just seems soo cold up there but I really don't mind if its as fun as UCL or the others. And yeah, I guess my list shortens to UCL, Warwick, Durham, Bristol, Edinburgh and maybe Manchester and Kings.

Now I think Manchester is good because its internationally known. Now please correct me if Im wrong or Im missing things out. Kings is good because it has alot of connections plus Im on the K+ course so It'll be easy for me to get in considering they consider K+ applicants very well.

UCL seems like a realistic choice out of the three so I have two left. Edinburgh is good and well known but then comes to the question that whether Edinburgh is good socially? And finally I've heard Bristol, Durham and Warwick are good from teachers and everyone but there is no evidence like Imperial or Cambridge.
Original post by UnknownDude
x

Well Edinburgh is a 4 year course instead of 3, but in your first two years you get to pick "outside subjects", you have a few spare credits in order to study a third subject like Physics, Economics or a language for example (I say third, as CS students are required to sit 40 credits of Mathematics modules in both their first two years).

Having lived outside of Edinburgh for a while a few years back, I can tell you the weather can be great and can be terrible (much like most places in Britain). I doubt the climate will differ much from Durham, as it's in the north of England.

I've heard Bristol is really good socially, but I've heard the opposite of Durham and Warwick haha...but it really depends what you're into. Edinburgh is a capital city with 3 universities so there are plenty of nightclubs that do student events and such (not to mention the Fringe if you decide to stick around for the summer). Also, I've heard the Union's Teviot House bar (the building that looks like Hogwarts) does the best nachos you'll ever taste lol.

I've not heard too much about the teaching standards though other than, like with most universities, it can be hit-or-miss...one course you could have a great lecturer who's very enthusiastic about teaching and the next could be a guy who just wants to get out and back to research. The ATI should bring a load of money and some new researchers around (particularly in the area of data science), so that should improve things. As far as I know, Edinburgh has the largest CS dept. in the UK, so that's pretty much reflected in the amount of choice in courses during your 3rd and 4th years.

At the end of the day, all of those are pretty much the top unis for CS, so the choice is really up to you as there isn't too much to separate most of them.
Original post by Frank the Tankk
x

Wow thanks. Still can't decide what to go with and I don't really enjoy the 4 year course so I guess Edinburgh is out of the picture. I guess Cambridge, Imperial, UCL, Bristol and Kings/Manchester is good?

Dunno about Warwick or Durham...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending