The Student Room Group

Anyone else think their sixth form will be empty this year

By this I mean half the year won't be there. I've not heard of one person who was happy with their results and I heard that a lot of people got U's so won't be able to stay on. This means that the sixth form block will likely resemble a ghost town

Anyone else in a similar situation or did my sixth form just do really badly?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by intelligent con
By this I mean half the year won't be there. I've not heard of one person who was happy with their results and I heard that a lot of people got U's so won't be able to stay on. This means that the sixth form block will likely resemble a ghost town

Hell yeah! I estimate that my class sizes will be more than halved in most cases.

Some will resit and carry on, some will retake the year and others will drop out.

I'm looking forward to it being a bit quieter :mmm:
Reply 2
I'm actually not sure about this in regards to my college (I don't know many people in my college but the few I know, did okay, maybe dropped a subject). I know my college was letting people in if they had Es and above (for most subjects anyway) so I'm thinking a lot of people will just be resitting the exams they 'failed' in!
Yup, year 13 will definitely be quieter in my sixth form for a mixture of reasons (quite a lot are resitting year 12 altogether, some have been told they can't return and others have got apprenticeships). Saying that though, there are a lot more year 12s coming up this year (about double the amount of year 13s) so I doubt it'll be much quieter D:
Iidk about my sixth form
Will find out on the 14th :biggrin:
yeah, this will probably be my sixth form. I can't say I saw many happy faces on results day..if any.. :frown:
nah, my sixth form is full of girls who cry about failing but come out with at least 2 As
Probably, but we'll know for sure when we go back.
For my 6th form if you didnt meet the requirement on results day then someone on the waiting list takes your place, so its gonna be full around 600 people a year :biggrin:
Even in the first week of my AS year about 16 people have dropped out of my classes :colondollar:. And now 60% of the people I know got something like CDDU in average, I guess this year I will be 1 on 1 with my teacher :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
For my 6th form if you didnt meet the requirement on results day then someone on the waiting list takes your place, so its gonna be full around 600 people a year :biggrin:

Thats wow, in my sixth form there is a waiting list for people to transfer out of it :biggrin:
Reply 11
It's pretty normal for fewer people to continue at A2.

With my school, it's multiplying each year (3 yrs ago there were less than 10, then it went to 25-30 and this year its 60+)
I thought this would be the case when I went into Year 13, but you'll probably be surprised by the number of people stay on. Usually quite a lot retake year 12.
Original post by thecatwithnohat
nah, my sixth form is full of girls who cry about failing but come out with at least 2 As

ha, i had a gf when I was in lower 6 who bawled on her desk like her face on the table and just sobbed her face off...for getting a B :colonhash: I awkwardly comforted her like :erm::console:
Original post by intelligent con

That happened with my sixth form too. There were 10 people in my Maths AS class, and in A2, only 4 people remained.
Original post by Man.bear.pig
ha, i had a gf when I was in lower 6 who bawled on her desk like her face on the table and just sobbed her face off...for getting a B :colonhash: I awkwardly comforted her like :erm::console:

I would've jabbed her in the eye with my finger for being that ungrateful :colonhash:
Reply 16
It definitely feels that way. At least four of my friends are leaving - and that's just a few friends, who were all doing absolutely fine in the run-up to exams...

My sixth form is awful in that it doesn't let people resit the year. They force them to find someplace else :/
I go back on Wednesday (finally) and I'm not sure about how many there'll be there. I know the two further maths groups will merge together so I doubt that would change (it's the same group for maths). As for psychology, I'm doubting a lot of people have done well in my class so they might put two together aswell, I just hope I stay with some people that I know in it.

The college said the pass rate for AS was 93% and 47% of results were A/B. These feel quite low to me so I think a few people have gone.
Original post by SecretDuck
That happened with my sixth form too. There were 10 people in my Maths AS class, and in A2, only 4 people remained.

Same happened with maths at my sixth form. 43 students at AS, 8 at A2. Loads of people think it's a great idea at first...
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I would've jabbed her in the eye with my finger for being that ungrateful :colonhash:

lool i can't get away with jabbing a female :wink: but I did tell her, it's fine you know :erm: she was shaking and all and saying what her dad would say.

Quick Reply

Latest