rahimaakhtar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Last year when i was 16 i left college with only gcse's. I didnt do my A-levels because at that time i didnt want to go university but now i do and i regret it so much because i want to become a healthcare assistant. I have no UCAS points or A-levels or any of the requirments needed to apply for a course at my desired university or any other ones. Ive tried to re-apply to college but i dont have the gcse's to study health and social in A-levels
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rahimaakhtar)
Last year when i was 16 i left college with only gcse's. I didnt do my A-levels because at that time i didnt want to go university but now i do and i regret it so much because i want to become a healthcare assistant. I have no UCAS points or A-levels or any of the requirments needed to apply for a course at my desired university or any other ones. Ive tried to re-apply to college but i dont have the gcse's to study health and social in A-levels
Are you over 19? You could do a health and social care access course if you have your science, maths and english gcses.
rahimaakhtar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
hi, thanks for your reply, im 17 only but everyone my age will be going to university next year and i want to be one of them. not being able to graduate is really depressing. i made a stupid mistake and ive ruined my chance of actually making something of myself claireestelle
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
hi, thanks for your reply, im 17 only but everyone my age will be going to university next year and i want to be one of them. not being able to graduate is really depressing. i made a stupid mistake and ive ruined my chance of actually making something of myself claireestelle
17 is still very young, you can get to where you want to be, it ll just take time
what gcses do you have currently?
Have to checked out if there's any places hiring trainee healthcare assistants in your local area? there could be an apprenticeship that would get you an nvq level 3 which some universities might accept for entry. I'm sure there's a way for you to get where you want to be
Happy_Holidays
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
To be a healthcare assistant you don't need a university qualification, usually it's just GCSEs. You do to be a nurse if this is what you mean?

Have a look at BTECH courses as they may be a better fit for you. And look at trying to get some experience in care as a healthcare assistant or support working in a hospital or care home.

Posted from TSR Mobile
evantej
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As the other users have said you do not need to go to university or even have A levels to become a healthcare assistant. There are very few A levels that would even help you become a healthcare assistant as it is highly vocational. Biology and psychology are probably the exception. They would give you a bit of knowledge so you understand more about what is going on or what you are asked to do (e.g. insulin injections).

If you definitely want to become a healthcare assistant then there is nothing stopping you applying for jobs right now; whether it is a job or an apprenticeship or some sorts. If you want to stay in education the doing a health and social care qualification would give you relevant background knowledge. Some might even organise work experience and the like I do not know.

If you want to become a nurse then that means you have to go to university. But as claireestelle suggested you would need to ensure that your GCSEs are in order before you do an access course or A levels. You did not mention what grades you got.

It is not clear you have even wasted a year yet but in the grand scheme of things that is nothing. On my SLT course we had a 44-year-old start with. I retrained myself. It is not very common to jump straight from school to college to university to job. Life does not work like that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (15)
6.73%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
15.25%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (38)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
15.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (59)
26.46%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (43)
19.28%

Watched Threads