I really really want to go to California

Watch
Abcdefghijk123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So before I was like hell yeah university, I didn't and still don't know what exactly I wanna do at uni. I'm feeling kind of scared because year 13 is starting and I have to sort out personal statements and open days and god knows what else... but lately all I can think of is how badly I want to visit, or possibly live, in California. I'm not even sure I want to go to university anymore. I don't exactly see the point; I just want to be married with four kids, but I'm scared of putting all my eggs in one basket. I thought I wanted to do nursing at university but my gut instinct is telling me that that isn't the right choice and I'm gonna listen to it. I'll probably end up doing something language based. I just think California is so glamorous; beautiful weather and beaches. These thoughts about wanting to go to California started partly because there's a Disneyland, partly because two tv series's I love are made and set in America and partly because I'm a fan of MJ and California is where he lived and is buried (although towards the end of his life he disliked America and wanted to live in another country. I sort of relate to this). I have lived in England all my life and I'm tired of it. I kind of want to escape on my own and make a completely new life for myself in California. My auntie did the same thing; she had lived in England all her life and just decided to move to Texas. My mum had spent all her life in England and just decided to spend 3 years in Australia. I work at McDonald's right now and have opened a savings account; I'm gonna put £100 a month in it. Maybe this California thing will happen as soon as I finish uni or perhaps I could visit as a holiday in 2017. I wouldn't even really mind waitressing in California. And I know I haven't exactly provided a question for you guys, but I just wanted to throw my thoughts out there, maybe get an opinion or two. If you have made it this far, thanks for paying attention to the mess that is the inner workings of my mind.
piglet33
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
California isn't all it's cracked up to be! It's cool sure, but I've been to better places. That being said, I'm applying to PhD programmes there!

If you'd like any advice I suggest going to uni and doing a degree you'd be interested in studying for 3 years. Maybe find a uni that does an exchange year with a university in California - then you could try before you commit? You don't have to have it all figured out right now, and it's great that you want to broaden your horizons but there's plenty of time to explore during uni and its holidays. Apply to summer camps in America, see if you can spend 3 months of the summer working there. I think your best bet is to find what interests you, apply to university for that and figure out the rest as you go along
gutenberg
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I lived in California for a bit. Parts of it are stunning, but those likely won't be the parts you'd want to live in (they tend to be remote); but the rest isn't all that amazing. The beaches for the most part I found to be average - you'd find nicer beaches in parts of Europe, like Greece or southern Italy. Los Angeles in particular is a huge let-down, and a bit of a dump in some respects. Perhaps you should try get some experience of the place first, via something like summer work or an exchange programme as piglet33 suggested. It's an awful long way to go before realising it's not for you after all!
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I live in the US and my father-in-law lives in California so I've been there a number of times. Really don't like the place, too much traffic, too hot, too much poverty, too expensive relative to the rest of the country. I would really recommend visiting before getting too carried away.
A level sufferer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by gutenberg)
I lived in California for a bit. Parts of it are stunning, but those likely won't be the parts you'd want to live in (they tend to be remote); but the rest isn't all that amazing. The beaches for the most part I found to be average - you'd find nicer beaches in parts of Europe, like Greece or southern Italy. Los Angeles in particular is a huge let-down, and a bit of a dump in some respects. Perhaps you should try get some experience of the place first, via something like summer work or an exchange programme as piglet33 suggested. It's an awful long way to go before realising it's not for you after all!
I concur with LA being a let down. The main strip where all the attractions are, is amazing however i found you dont have to travel 10 minutes from the main strip and you reach less than pleasant neighbourhoods.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (195)
14.4%
I'm not sure (61)
4.51%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.03%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.73%
I'm not a current university student (668)
49.34%

Watched Threads