Turn on thread page Beta

OCR AS Biology Exam - How did you find it? watch

ReputationRep:
    So, what Units did you do, and how did you find it?

HH&D - Thought there was a bit much 'graph description' stuff. Also, I thought one of the asthma questions was a bit ambiguous.

Transport - Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be. It felt quite similar to the specimine paper.

Also, did anyone manage to fill the spaces for the 6/7 mark questions? [HH&D = T-cell stuff] [Transport = SAN/AVN + the heart beat]

ReputationRep:
    I did Biology Foundation and found it really easy. It was appropriate length exam for the time limit too which is unusual

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the timing wasn't to bad on Trans and HH&D - I wasn't writing 'till the last minutes or waiting for the time to be up.

I would have thought there would be more questions about plant cells in trans though.

ReputationRep:
    H H Cilia Mucus Questions Yes Very Ambiguous

ReputationRep:
    What did you fellas think of the Human Health and Disease one? Its hard to know how you did IMO. Just depends whether you said the "key words".

ReputationRep:
    i did tranport and i found it HARD.. i just didnt know what to put, most questions seemed similar.. just out of interest what did everyone put for the question on heart where u had to say what X and Y were and also where u had to explain what P and Q were used for???!!!!..

ReputationRep:
    Health and Disease - i thought majority of the paper was unfair. Especially with too many graph interpretations...i mean cant they look and tell for themselves??? there were many ambiguous questions as well as answers....for example, talk bou "likely effects of severe malnutrition apart from stunted growth"! I ran out of time in the end and the woman who collects the exam papers was giving my funny looks when she came to collect mine as i was still writing!

Transport - wasnt too bad....much better than H+D unit.

I hate biology - so glad they are over!

ReputationRep:
    what do u think were the grade bundaries for the paper out of 165marks in total, for the exam only?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    i did tranport and i found it HARD.. i just didnt know what to put, most questions seemed similar.. just out of interest what did everyone put for the question on heart where u had to say what X and Y were and also where u had to explain what P and Q were used for???!!!!..
    sorry just realised i didnt make any sence earlier.. wat i meant was:
    on the question n structureof the heart wat was X and Y .. also wat did u have to write on the P and Q part of the questions??!! thanxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanaz)
    I said that x was the vena cava, and that y was the bicuspid valve. and the valves in p and q were to prevent the backflow of blood.
    I didn't really like the HHD paper, I didn't have that much time to check and the graph questions were really strange. I found foundation really easy,with half an hour at the end to check and transport wasn't bad either.
    I didn't manage to fill the spaces for the 6/7 mark questions, I didn't feel that there was that much to write, especially for transport. however,they'll probably give marks for avn,san etc. which makes it better.
    for malnutrition.. I just used the examples of symptoms of both kwashiokor (??) and marasmus and said some stuff about losing weight,immune system..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessica_h)
    I said that x was the vena cava, and that y was the bicuspid valve. and the valves in p and q were to prevent the backflow of blood.
    I didn't really like the HHD paper, I didn't have that much time to check and the graph questions were really strange. I found foundation really easy,with half an hour at the end to check and transport wasn't bad either.
    I didn't manage to fill the spaces for the 6/7 mark questions, I didn't feel that there was that much to write, especially for transport. however,they'll probably give marks for avn,san etc. which makes it better.
    for malnutrition.. I just used the examples of symptoms of both kwashiokor (??) and marasmus and said some stuff about losing weight,immune system..
    ohh no i put X is pulmonary artery

ReputationRep:
    I put that X was the Vena Cava and Y was the atrio-ventricular valve. I found Foundation fine, HH+D was a *******, and transport was the one that was inbetween. I've only just come out of the exam although i'm ever so slighty tipsy as i have had some wine. I think i probably got a B for Foundation, a C for transport and a D for HH+D. I'm not very good at Bio anyway, so i'm not expecting anything more. I now have my A2 biology exams to do.

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Foundation and h&D retakes. Foundation was very easy but the health and disease was a bit hard. Especally the Aids question

ReputationRep:
    It was alright. Timing a little contrained on the HHD and Transport papers. A lot of the questions were ambiguous - yet the markscheme is going to be absolutely precise. If they going to give a fairly open question, then allow a range of answers... that's what I hate about OCR Biology. They ask open-ended questions and expect concise answers.

ReputationRep:
    i did all 3 papers, thought hh+d was hardest, but they were all ok, was very surprised about the first page of foundation, who would have through they would give the meaning and then ask to identify it, theres never been questions like that before.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the third paper was mostly common sense.

The first paper was easy, and the second paper was okay.

Didn't like about the nicotine, artheroma and that kind of things, because I didn't learn that bit well. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    what was the answer to what happens at interphase?

and was the potassium ions active transport?

ReputationRep:
    lol heres me who found foundation hard... i think cuz i got so caught up in the other 2 during my revision...
    there was waaay too much about mitosis.. and the last one i just made a mess of...

transport.. i actually enjoyed.. the whole SAN AVN thin... i luved... no phloem stuff! yay! lol

h and d... was okay... i dunno if its graph interpretation i can deal with... the whole alveoli stuff like mentioned was a bit of a mess....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I didn't get the interphase. I just said generally that the cell needs to recover, gain some materials and energy to divide again. I knew that centrioles divide so I put that down. Err... Yeah, that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I did all 3 this morning. Foundation was good, HHD too vague, too much graph interpretation and the long answer question on T lymphocytes was horrific and transport was mostly alright.

At my school we had to start the exams in semi darkness as some prat had cut the electricity cable to the school. I had the added problem that my reading glasses have lenses which are yellow (to stop me getting migraines from the flourescent light) and when there is no light it makes it a bit difficult to see. The lights went on and off a couple of times before finally staying on about 10 minutes in to HHD!!

Hope everyone elses went ok.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.