The Student Room Group

terrible GCSEs to amazing a level grades?

At GCSE I achieved 2a's 3b's and 5c's, I was really upset about these grades as I expected better, now all of my friends which are really smart are going to amazing sixth forms with their a-a*s and I'm stuck in the same school with students like myself
I don't think I worked to my potential at GCSE and it is now my dream to achieve 4a's at as and 4a*s overall. Before some of you say that this is impossible I believe I can pull it off with the subjects I've chosen (maths English lit, sociology and economics) do any of you guys have some advice on how I can achieve these grades and how I can stop comparing myself to other people. Thank you for reading this!

Scroll to see replies

i got 2 A* 1 A 7B 1 C and got AAAB at AS level (maths, f.maths, computing, physics).

It's possible..
Original post by cathartic
At GCSE I achieved 2a's 3b's and 5c's, I was really upset about these grades as I expected better, now all of my friends which are really smart are going to amazing sixth forms with their a-a*s and I'm stuck in the same school with students like myself
I don't think I worked to my potential at GCSE and it is now my dream to achieve 4a's at as and 4a*s overall. Before some of you say that this is impossible I believe I can pull it off with the subjects I've chosen (maths English lit, sociology and economics) do any of you guys have some advice on how I can achieve these grades and how I can stop comparing myself to other people. Thank you for reading this!

Hard work, basically. That's the long and short of it all. Even average students can walk away with As/A*s at A-level if they put in enough time. The biggest advice that I could give is that you should start revising full time around March time so you don't rush towards the end and iron out any problems in good time.

Also, to stop comparing yourself to other people, well, stop comparing yourself to other people. xD There's really no trick to it. Focus on yourself and, as much as socially possible, ignore the happenings in other people's lives.
Reply 3
It depends entirely on how much work you put into GCSE's as well as what a levels you are taking. I'm sure you will do your best :smile:
It's possible.
Reply 5
I got 1A*, 4B, 2C and 2D's (including a D in German) and then ended up with A*AB (Maths, Business and Further Maths), very close to A*AA, if I didn't panic in my first test this summer I would have got it. On the flip side my friend got 3A* 6A at GCSE and then got BBC. My opinion is as long as you're passionate about the subjects and take a real interest and you keep on top of your work (don't need to work ridiculously hard) you'll do well. Good luck :smile:

These threads are genuinely really starting to annoy me; what is society doing to teens? Literally destroying them. Your grades are fine. STOP.
Reply 7
I got 8Bs and 1C at GCSE.

Left college with A*A*A in my A Levels.

It was all hard work.
i got only 2As in gcse ang got AAA in AS MATHS PHYSICS CHEM, dont doubt urself
Reply 9
Original post by jonnypdot
i got only 2As in gcse ang got AAA in AS MATHS PHYSICS CHEM, dont doubt urself

May I ask how early did you start your revision and how did you revise for maths? We're any of your subjects challenging also your grades are so amazing honestly so motivational thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got 2 a's 5 b's 3 c's and 2 e's at gcse and achieved AABC at as level

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ivybridge
These threads are genuinely really starting to annoy me; what is society doing to teens? Literally destroying them. Your grades are fine. STOP.

Subjective mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
Subjective mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

got 10us and 9 qs
got 4 Zs at a level
Original post by greycheck
got 10us and 9 qs
got 4 Zs at a level

That's bloody amazing, I envy such academic prowess

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't advise taking 4 A2's, most people end up regretting it.
Reply 15
Original post by ftahir02
I got 2 a's 5 b's 3 c's and 2 e's at gcse and achieved AABC at as level

Posted from TSR Mobile

What subjects did you do, and how did you achieve these a's?

Posted from TSR Mobile
May I ask how early did you start your revision and how did you revise for maths? We're any of your subjects challenging also your grades are so amazing honestly so motivational thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly dude u are smart some kids, not all fluke gcses, you are capable of getting much better grades than me because u are starting fresh, i started December time, u start now and u will achieve great grades, go all out revision maybe February. For maths i used a website called examsolutions . com check it out the guy gives videos tutorials on the whole of maths. Physics was my most challenging but i put more time into it only dropped less than 10UMS overall. Have a nice AS year man.
Reply 17
Are a levels heavily content based regarding the subjects economics sociology and economics ????

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
Subjective mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. No it's really not. Those grades are objectively good - how you feel about them is subjective but the fact you're getting people who, even today, think all As is bad because they weren't A*s is ludicrous.
Reply 19
probably not 'terrible' but 2A*s 7As 1B GCSE, then 4As at AS and 3A*s at A2. I don't think GCSE grades matter that much to be honest, a lot of people (like me) have a wake up call and realise we have to work hard at a-level. Ignore your GCSEs, you can't do anything to change them. Just tell yourself you're gonna get 4As, work like student who would get 4As, get rid of distractions (including friends) and enjoy yourself on results day, The hard work pays off, trust me.

p.s. you don't even have to be doing 18 hours a day from September, just never leave a lesson confused and always do your homework.

Quick Reply

Latest