The Student Room Group

Don't know what degree

I've done my AS levels and this year I obviously need to apply to universities. But I have no idea what degree subject I want to do (although I do want to go to St Andrews).

At AS I got:

English lit: 88% UMS
Geography: 100% UMS
History: 96% UMS
Philosophy: 94% UMS

I'm dropping English this year. I like all my other subjects though and can't choose one to do at uni. I have also considered a primary school teaching degree as I want to be a primary school teacher but I couldn't study that at St Andrews so Reading would be my first choice if I picked that.
Original post by TTWNGCBC
I've done my AS levels and this year I obviously need to apply to universities. But I have no idea what degree subject I want to do (although I do want to go to St Andrews).

At AS I got:

English lit: 88% UMS
Geography: 100% UMS
History: 96% UMS
Philosophy: 94% UMS

I'm dropping English this year. I like all my other subjects though and can't choose one to do at uni. I have also considered a primary school teaching degree as I want to be a primary school teacher but I couldn't study that at St Andrews so Reading would be my first choice if I picked that.

If you want to be a primary school teacher, train as a teacher! Don't do a random degree that won't get you the job you want for the sake of going to St Andrew's.

In the meantime, you should get some work experience or volunteering in a primary school, to help you write your personal statement/help you make sure that's what you want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by ChancedTravels
If you want to be a primary school teacher, train as a teacher! Don't do a random degree that won't get you the job you want for the sake of going to St Andrew's.

In the meantime, you should get some work experience or volunteering in a primary school, to help you write your personal statement/help you make sure that's what you want to do.

Not being able to go to St Andrews isn't the reason I am wary of a primary school degree! I have done 3 lots of work experience in a primary school (so far) but I'm concerned that if I change my mind later and decide that I don't want to be a teacher, a vocational degree in primary school teaching won't be of much help to me in applying for a different job.
Not being able to go to St Andrews isn't the reason I am wary of a primary school degree! I have done 3 lots of work experience in a primary school (so far) but I'm concerned that if I change my mind later and decide that I don't want to be a teacher, a vocational degree in primary school teaching won't be of much help to me in applying for a different job.

Ah okay, in that case, there is always the PGCE. It's only an extra year, and if you do well in your undergrad (1st class) usually you will get a bursary to cover the fees. Do the subject you think you would really enjoy, keep volunteering one morning or afternoon a week in a primary and maybe a children's youth group or charity while you're at uni. Then you'll show commitment when applying to the PGCE and you will definitely know at the end if it's for you! I nearly did primary ed. but opted for English instead because of the same reason - and now that I'm going into third year, have continued working and volunteering with kids the whole time, I know I don't want to be a teacher but a children's nurse. So you're certainly liable to change your mind if you're not 100% already!

History or Geog would be good choices as you have to have a degree in a national curriculum subject to do a primary PGCE, also philosophy degrees are generally not very useful.
(edited 8 years ago)

I'm doing primary education at Durham and it's incredible!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending