The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Chances of LSE and UCL with A Level retake

Hi I got 10A*s,2As at GCSE and AAAB at AS. Last year I managed to get offers from LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol but unfortunately due to be disorganised and irresponsible working 27 hours a week I completely flopped A2 this year and ended up with ABBB(maths, further maths, economics, chemistry) and no offers.
I got into Cass business school through clearing for investment and financial risk management but I'm still really disappointed in myself and i fear I won't get into my desired industry (investment banking) spring weeks/ placements because of my uni and bad a level grades.
I'm considering reapplying to LSE (this time for actuarial science less competitive), UCL statistics (who said its worth reapplying), and Warwick MORSE while I'm my first year then retake either 2 (for AAAB) or 4 (for A*AAB) exams to meet my offer. What are the chances of me receiving the offer? Are there any UCL/LSE/Warwick students who know any classmates who completed A levels over 3 years? Any advice? Should I take a gap year instead? Anyone else reapplied in first year?

Scroll to see replies

I think they expect you to achieve the grades within 3 years of you starting your A levels
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Original post by thecatwithnohat
I think they expect you to achieve the grades within 3 years of you starting your A levels

If I retake some modules I would have completed them in 3 years?
Original post by banker18
Hi I got 10A*s,2As at GCSE and AAAB at AS. Last year I managed to get offers from LSE, UCL, Warwick, Bristol but unfortunately due to be disorganised and irresponsible working 27 hours a week I completely flopped A2 this year and ended up with ABBB(maths, further maths, economics, chemistry) and no offers.
I got into Cass business school through clearing for investment and financial risk management but I'm still really disappointed in myself and i fear I won't get into my desired industry (investment banking) spring weeks/ placements because of my uni and bad a level grades.
I'm considering reapplying to LSE (this time for actuarial science less competitive), UCL statistics (who said its worth reapplying), and Warwick MORSE while I'm my first year then retake either 2 (for AAAB) or 4 (for A*AAB) exams to meet my offer. What are the chances of me receiving the offer? Are there any UCL/LSE/Warwick students who know any classmates who completed A levels over 3 years? Any advice? Should I take a gap year instead? Anyone else reapplied in first year?

But finacial risk and investment requires AAA. How did you get in?
Reply 4
Original post by greycheck
But finacial risk and investment requires AAA. How did you get in?

I called and they said yes... Probably because I did 4

Hi banker18, probably the best thing to is to email the admissions tutor for the universities you want to apply to, for the specific course you want to study asking them whether they consider students that have taken 3 years to complete their A levels. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by DeadEnd_96
Hi banker18, probably the best thing to is to email the admissions tutor for the universities you want to apply to, for the specific course you want to study asking them whether they consider students that have taken 3 years to complete their A levels. Good Luck :smile:

Hi Deadend_96,
I have contacted the university admissions Warwick and LSE said they do consider students but they are at a disadvantage because they prefer students who achieve it in 2 years as competition is high. UCL however really encouraged me and said it is definitely worth a try but they obviously cannot guarantee me an offer over the phone.
Hi Deadend_96,
I have contacted the university admissions Warwick and LSE said they do consider students but they are at a disadvantage because they prefer students who achieve it in 2 years as competition is high. UCL however really encouraged me and said it is definitely worth a try but they obviously cannot guarantee me an offer over the phone.

I would go for it. Retake any exams you need to retake and get the highest possible grade you can in each subject. Don't apply to all the top universities because that would be risky. you could apply to 2 or 3 top universities and for the others more safer universities that don't place you at disadvantage. Good Luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by DeadEnd_96
I would go for it. Retake any exams you need to retake and get the highest possible grade you can in each subject. Don't apply to all the top universities because that would be risky. you could apply to 2 or 3 top universities and for the others more safer universities that don't place you at disadvantage. Good Luck :smile:

Yeah thanks for advice, I think I will do just that. Just got to keep my fingers crossed about receiving offers now :smile:
Hey banker18, im in the same situation as you as i achieved AABB when predicted A*A*AA. Its truly disappointing to miss your first choice offers for economics and i do understand what youre going through.I plan on retaking some modules and apply for LSE,UCL, Warwick and Bath.
However quick question who would predict the grades for you, if you do plan on retaking the year ? Wpuld you do it at your normal school/college or go to a different one ?
Reply 10
Original post by student2345
Hey banker18, im in the same situation as you as i achieved AABB when predicted A*A*AA. Its truly disappointing to miss your first choice offers for economics and i do understand what youre going through.I plan on retaking some modules and apply for LSE,UCL, Warwick and Bath.
However quick question who would predict the grades for you, if you do plan on retaking the year ? Wpuld you do it at your normal school/college or go to a different one ?

Hiya, are you taking a year out to retake? And what courses are you applying for, I've heard applying for economics is completely hopeless. I think my old sixth form will be, I am asking them if they can predict me A*AAB. I am not retaking at an institution I am doing first year university while applying with the help of my old school and applying for the retake exams privately. Are you taking a year out to retake?
Hiya, are you taking a year out to retake? And what courses are you applying for, I've heard applying for economics is completely hopeless. I think my old sixth form will be, I am asking them if they can predict me A*AAB. I am not retaking at an institution I am doing first year university while applying with the help of my old school and applying for the retake exams privately. Are you taking a year out to retake?

Ive got the grades for LSE economics and Economic history(AAB) and also got grades for nottingham Economics(AABB) although the course at UCL really does appeal to me and so does the faculty. My plan was to retake some modules as 1/2 modules dragged my grades down by quite a bit in my gap year and apply for UCL. I was consodering joining a college to redo the modules and get the predicted grades.
On another note i didnt know you could apply to unis through while in your first year at uni ? I didnt know if this was allowed ?
Reply 12
Original post by student2345
Ive got the grades for LSE economics and Economic history(AAB) and also got grades for nottingham Economics(AABB) although the course at UCL really does appeal to me and so does the faculty. My plan was to retake some modules as 1/2 modules dragged my grades down by quite a bit in my gap year and apply for UCL. I was consodering joining a college to redo the modules and get the predicted grades.
On another note i didnt know you could apply to unis through while in your first year at uni ? I didnt know if this was allowed ?

Oh that's a good plan, so did you not apply to any Unis through clearing because Nottingham had economics vacancies in clearing? For UCL if you do further maths, your offer is only AAA. Yeah that's what I plan to do but self teach really.
Yeah it definitely is, I've met a couple of people who did the same thing and got into the Unis they really wanted so it's worth a try. Have you tried asking your old college? Because they'll probably be the best people to go to to get a reference?
Reply 13
But UCL stats is pathetic. tbh not surprised they are willing to give you an offer. It's like the worst rated dept in the whole uni (it used to be good though)
Reply 14
Oh that's a good plan, so did you not apply to any Unis through clearing because Nottingham had economics vacancies in clearing? For UCL if you do further maths, your offer is only AAA. Yeah that's what I plan to do but self teach really.
Yeah it definitely is, I've met a couple of people who did the same thing and got into the Unis they really wanted so it's worth a try. Have you tried asking your old college? Because they'll probably be the best people to go to to get a reference?

You're going to re-take ALL those modules whilst in first year? Will your Uni grades suffer though?
Reply 15
Original post by ChiFlee
You're going to re-take ALL those modules whilst in first year? Will your Uni grades suffer though?

No of course not that wouldn't be possible, Only 3/4 exams brought my grades down so those are the only ones I am retaking. They were the easy modules too so I am confident I will have the time for them.
Reply 16
Ok :smile: who am I to discourage you. Good luck, you can do it!

I'm doing something similar anyway but only 1/2 modules to bring ABC to either ABB if I retake one module or AAB if I re-take the two. I'm 4 marks off the A and 2 marks off the B so I'm positive I can do it as I know where I went wrong this year. (I'm doing this whilst at Uni, I know people who have done far more during first year and some even in second. I'm going to do this during first year however, since specs are changing soon.)

I'm not sure if you meant you were going to re-take those in university, but whether you are or aren't. Good luck :smile:

edit: I'm not re-taking with the intention of reapplying though, I simply want to meet my predicted grades because I know I under performed and I'm capable of more, it's more for self achievement.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by ChiFlee
Ok :smile: who am I to discourage you. Good luck, you can do it!

I'm doing something similar anyway but only 1/2 modules to bring ABC to either ABB if I retake one module or AAB if I re-take the two. I'm 4 marks off the A and 2 marks off the B so I'm positive I can do it as I know where I went wrong this year. (I'm doing this whilst at Uni, I know people who have done far more during first year and some even in second. I'm going to do this during first year however, since specs are changing soon.)

I'm not sure if you meant you were going to re-take those in university, but whether you are or aren't. Good luck :smile:

edit: I'm not re-taking with the intention of reapplying though, I simply want to meet my predicted grades because I know I under performed and I'm capable of more, it's more for self achievement.

Oh that's a similar thing to me, good luck to you too:smile: I understand how you feel, Before I decided to reapply I was planning to redoing some exams because I really felt I underperformed. But I figured I won't lose anything in applying, it will just give me another option if I don't like the uni. How did the people you know do in their retakes?
Reply 18
Oh that's a similar thing to me, good luck to you too:smile: I understand how you feel, Before I decided to reapply I was planning to redoing some exams because I really felt I underperformed. But I figured I won't lose anything in applying, it will just give me another option if I don't like the uni. How did the people you know do in their retakes?

One girl I know only done Psychology AS but during her second year randomly decided she wanted to complete the full A-level (weird I know haha!) so she self taught Unit 3 & 4 and took the exams and got an A. I know another person who brought a B grade to an A grade.

I just think we need to start working early and make sure our exam technique is up to par :smile: But yeah you're right, you won't lose anything in re-applying, or re-taking since they take the highest grade anyways
Original post by Ray7
But UCL stats is pathetic. tbh not surprised they are willing to give you an offer. It's like the worst rated dept in the whole uni (it used to be good though)

How do you find out things like a certain department being the worst or being the best etc?
I was considering Economics and Statistics but not sure now :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest